Global constants

Kless

8/18/2008 8:20:00 AM

I want set up some constants that can be accesed since another
classes.

Which is the best way? Using a singleton to access to variables? (as
if were global vars.)?
2 Answers

Michael Morin

Kless wrote:
> I want set up some constants that can be accesed since another
> classes.
>
> Which is the best way? Using a singleton to access to variables? (as
> if were global vars.)?

You can use a module for this. The classes don't necessarily have to be
in the module either, if outside the module they can address the
constant as MyModule::CONSTANT or the classes can include MyModule if it
makes sense to do so.

module MyModule
CONSTANT = "test"

class MyClass1
def print_test
puts CONSTANT

class MyClass2
def say_something
puts CONSTANT

MyModule::MyClass1.new.print_test
MyModule::MyClass2.new.say_something

--
Michael Morin
Guide to Ruby

Kless

Thank you for your help and the fast reply.

I come from Python, a great language, but I'm loving Ruby.