Need to get average of specific fields in MySQL

jackster the jackle

8/15/2008 3:34:00 PM

Hi Forum,

My Active Record query works fine and pull all records where
ipadd='10.1.1.1' and print out the current_connection_count values but I
need to get the average of those numbers.

here is my Active Record config:
------------------
class Pix
end

device = Pix.find(:all, :conditions => "pixes.ipadd = '10.1.1.1'")
device.each do |line|
puts line.current_connection_count
end
------------------

Is it best to somehow change my sql query to get the average of these
numbers or is it better to try do it after the sql query (which I don't
know how to do either :-)) ?

any help would be appreciated.
thanks
jackster

Phlip

jackster the jackle wrote:

> device = Pix.find(:all, :conditions => "pixes.ipadd = '10.1.1.1'")
> device.each do |line|
> puts line.current_connection_count
> end

According to the very first cite at...

http://www.google.com/search?q=activereco...

....it should be:

average = Pix.average(:current_connection_count,
:conditions => "ipadd = '10.1.1.1'")

Please consider http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonr... for RoR
questions. This group is for old-timers who missed the RoR boat, and questions
about it make us cranky here. (-:

--
Phlip