rbgccxml / rbplusplus gem dependency on hpricot question

Axel Etzold

8/15/2008 2:05:00 PM

Dear all,

I am having problems installing the rbgccxml gem on ubuntu 8.04, I get a runtime error saying that
hpricot version=0.6 is required.
Now I had hpricot installed, as a gem, but it is version 0.6.161 .
Is there any special reason why these two should not work together ?

Thank you very much,

Best regards,

Axel
--
Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
Der Eine für Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/m...

5 Answers

David Masover

On Friday 15 August 2008 09:04:56 Axel Etzold wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am having problems installing the rbgccxml gem on ubuntu 8.04, I get a
runtime error saying that
> hpricot version=0.6 is required.

Sounds like the same problem that rfeedparser has.

The explanation I got was, 0.6.161 is probably fine, but hadn't been tested,
and they didn't want to allow 0.6 or higher, because that would imply a
future 0.7, which might actually break stuff.

In other words, someone very probably didn't know about the gem ~>
specification.

Talk to the author of rbgccxml, and see if they'd be willing to
require "~>0.6" (or would that be "~>0.6.0"?), instead of "=0.6".

Shawn Anderson

The maintainer of rbgccxml is on vacation until next week. Feel free to
contact him after that, and I'm sure he'll give you a speedy response. He's
a good guy: http://github.com/j...

/Shawn

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:47:24 +0900
> Von: "Shawn Anderson" <shawn42@gmail.com>
> An: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: rbgccxml / rbplusplus gem dependency on hpricot question

> The maintainer of rbgccxml is on vacation until next week. Feel free to
> contact him after that, and I'm sure he'll give you a speedy response.
> He's
> a good guy: http://github.com/j...
>
> /Shawn

Thanks for the info. I'll do that.

Best regards,

Axel
http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free/puzz...

Jason Roelofs

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Axel Etzold <AEtzold@gmx.de> wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:47:24 +0900
>> Von: "Shawn Anderson" <shawn42@gmail.com>
>> An: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
>> Betreff: Re: rbgccxml / rbplusplus gem dependency on hpricot question
>
>> The maintainer of rbgccxml is on vacation until next week. Feel free to
>> contact him after that, and I'm sure he'll give you a speedy response.
>> He's
>> a good guy: http://github.com/j...
>>
>> /Shawn
>
> Thanks for the info. I'll do that.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Axel
> --
> GMX Kostenlose Spiele: Einfach online spielen und Spa=DF haben mit Pastry=
Passion!
> http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free/p...
9196

Thanks for pointing this thread out for me Shawn. So many threads come
across when you're gone a week that I usually just mark them as
'read'.

Anyway, rbgccxml is no longer using hpricot. As libxml-ruby has
matured extensively in the past months, I've moved over to that
library. Much faster than hpricot. That said, I will take greater care
in how I define dependencies to hopefully prevent this problem from
happening again.

Further questions about these projects should be posted on the
rubyforge forums page: http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group...
Posting here will send me an email which will allow me to respond quicker.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Axel Etzold

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 00:52:19 +0900
> Von: "Jason Roelofs" <jameskilton@gmail.com>
> An: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
> Betreff: Re: rbgccxml / rbplusplus gem dependency on hpricot question

> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 5:37 PM, Axel Etzold <AEtzold@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Datum: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:47:24 +0900
> >> Von: "Shawn Anderson" <shawn42@gmail.com>
> >> An: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
> >> Betreff: Re: rbgccxml / rbplusplus gem dependency on hpricot question
> >
> >> The maintainer of rbgccxml is on vacation until next week. Feel free
> >> contact him after that, and I'm sure he'll give you a speedy response.
> >> He's
> >> a good guy: http://github.com/j...
> >>
> >> /Shawn
> >
> > Thanks for the info. I'll do that.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Axel
> > --
> > GMX Kostenlose Spiele: Einfach online spielen und Spaß haben mit Pastry
> Passion!
> >
> http://games.entertainment.gmx.net/de/entertainment/games/free/puzz...
> >

> Thanks for pointing this thread out for me Shawn. So many threads come
> across when you're gone a week that I usually just mark them as
> 'read'.
>
> Anyway, rbgccxml is no longer using hpricot. As libxml-ruby has
> matured extensively in the past months, I've moved over to that
> library. Much faster than hpricot. That said, I will take greater care
> in how I define dependencies to hopefully prevent this problem from
> happening again.
>
> Further questions about these projects should be posted on the
> rubyforge forums page: http://rubyforge.org/forum/?gro...
> Posting here will send me an email which will allow me to respond quicker.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Jason

Dear Jason,

thanks for your response and for your work.
However, I still get this error:

axel@alecrim:~/Desktop$ sudo gem install rbplusplus
ERROR: Error installing rbplusplus:
rbgccxml requires hpricot (= 0.6, runtime)

What should I do ?

Thank you,

Axel

Browser-Versionen downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/...