Jruby Application distribution

zyzygy

8/13/2008 1:45:00 PM

Hi All

Apologies if this is a FAQ but I've not been able to find it.

I am considering writing an app that would run on many different
platforms, Linux x86, mainframe linux, AIX and Windows are likely.
The Java runtime environments will already be installed on all of
these but the SDK won't and I am not likely to be allowed to install
the SDK on the many machines that would run the app.

Is it possible to package up my ruby app, and a stripped down Jruby
for distribution, requiring only the JRE on the target machine?

Thanks

Steve.
2 Answers

James Britt

zyzygy@telstra.com wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Apologies if this is a FAQ but I've not been able to find it.
>
> I am considering writing an app that would run on many different
> platforms, Linux x86, mainframe linux, AIX and Windows are likely.
> The Java runtime environments will already be installed on all of
> these but the SDK won't and I am not likely to be allowed to install
> the SDK on the many machines that would run the app.
>
> Is it possible to package up my ruby app, and a stripped down Jruby
> for distribution, requiring only the JRE on the target machine?

Absolutely. Look at the rawr library.

http://gitorious.org/pro...

It offers a variety of ways to bundle up JRuby apps. Happy Camper uses
it when distributing our commercial apps.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Charles Oliver Nutter

zyzygy@telstra.com wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Apologies if this is a FAQ but I've not been able to find it.
>
> I am considering writing an app that would run on many different
> platforms, Linux x86, mainframe linux, AIX and Windows are likely.
> The Java runtime environments will already be installed on all of
> these but the SDK won't and I am not likely to be allowed to install
> the SDK on the many machines that would run the app.
>
> Is it possible to package up my ruby app, and a stripped down Jruby
> for distribution, requiring only the JRE on the target machine?

James already mentioned Rawr, but I wanted to jump in and mention that
the "stripped-down" question has come up before. Yes, we would love to
have a stripped down deployment for JRuby, but we haven't done that just
yet. Mostly it's because the same things we'd strip out are the ones
that reduce startup time or make it possible to run JRuby as fast as
possible in limited environments like applets.

But it's definitely a direction we're looking at. The ability to take a
single file and have basically an entire Ruby implementation is
obviously huge, and if it's possible to make that file only contain the
parts of Ruby you need...all the better.

- Charlie