Visualizing in-memory objects?

Casimir

8/12/2008 11:19:00 AM

Object persistence, transparent, is something that I much desire.

However, I have nowhere near enough understanding on how objects behave
in memory.

To learn more I thought it would be cool to write something to visualize
objects and references between the objects. I realize I can use a
debugger to 'dig in', but I was thinking of something more graphical.

Do you think this pathway is possible? Any pointers? Or should I stick
to learning debugging?

Casimir Pohjanraito
2 Answers

Michael Guterl

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Casimir <pikEISPAMMMseli@welho.com> wrote:
> Object persistence, transparent, is something that I much desire.
>
> However, I have nowhere near enough understanding on how objects behave in
> memory.
>
> To learn more I thought it would be cool to write something to visualize
> objects and references between the objects. I realize I can use a debugger
> to 'dig in', but I was thinking of something more graphical.
>
> Do you think this pathway is possible? Any pointers? Or should I stick to
> learning debugging?

Check out ograph.

http://seattlerb.rubyforge.o...

HTH,
Michael Guterl

Robert Klemme

2008/8/12 Michael Guterl <mguterl@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Casimir <pikEISPAMMMseli@welho.com> wrote:
>> Object persistence, transparent, is something that I much desire.
>>
>> However, I have nowhere near enough understanding on how objects behave in
>> memory.
>>
>> To learn more I thought it would be cool to write something to visualize
>> objects and references between the objects. I realize I can use a debugger
>> to 'dig in', but I was thinking of something more graphical.
>>
>> Do you think this pathway is possible? Any pointers? Or should I stick to
>> learning debugging?
>>

> Check out ograph.
>
> http://seattlerb.rubyforge.o...

Sounds promising. I didn't know that, thanks for the link, Michael!

Casimir, another simpler alternative might be to use pp, i.e.

require 'pp'
pp some_object

Kind regards

robert