I'm a beginner, where should I go to?

Ben Aurel

8/12/2008 10:42:00 AM

hi
After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent ruby
code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but with
a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
'oh god that's probably wrong'.
So the thing I'm looking for is a mailinglist where I can post my
pathetic code in order to discuss it with some more experienced
writers.
thanks
ben

6 Answers

Ben Aurel

gmail should rename the 'Send' button into 'read again and find typos'
so don't blame me :-)

A little accretion to my post: I asked for the beginner list because I
have the habbit of asking stupid questions. It's often the only way
for me to understand things, but I also want to avoid by any means to
piss people off by 'polluting' 'their' mailinglist.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ben Aurel <ben.aurel@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
> After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
> sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
> experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
> comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
> Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent ruby
> code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but with
> a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
> Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
> similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
> to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
> 'oh god that's probably wrong'.
> So the thing I'm looking for is a mailinglist where I can post my
> pathetic code in order to discuss it with some more experienced
> writers.
> thanks
> ben

Frederick Cheung

On 12 Aug 2008, at 11:53, Ben Aurel wrote:

> A little accretion to my post: I asked for the beginner list because I
> have the habbit of asking stupid questions. It's often the only way
> for me to understand things, but I also want to avoid by any means to
> piss people off by 'polluting' 'their' mailinglist.

Hi Ben,

There isn't a beginners list, so post away! There's some talk about
whether or not one should be created, but nothing concrete has
happened yet.

Fred

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ben Aurel <ben.aurel@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> hi
>> After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
>> sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
>> experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
>> comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
>> Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent
>> ruby
>> code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but
>> with
>> a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
>> Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
>> similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
>> to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
>> 'oh god that's probably wrong'.
>> So the thing I'm looking for is a mailinglist where I can post my
>> pathetic code in order to discuss it with some more experienced
>> writers.
>> thanks
>> ben

Casimir

Perhaps you could use different code profiling tools and benchmarks to
learn what works well and what doesn't?

For example, look at ruby Pretty, or these:
http://ruby.sadi.st/Ruby_S...

Casimir Pohjanraito

Ben Aurel kirjoitti:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ben Aurel <ben.aurel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi
>> After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
>> sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
>> experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
>> comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
>> Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent ruby
>> code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but with
>> a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
>> Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
>> similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
>> to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
>> 'oh god that's probably wrong'.
>> So the thing I'm looking for is a mailinglist where I can post my
>> pathetic code in order to discuss it with some more experienced
>> writers.
>> thanks
>> ben

Ben Aurel

> For example, look at ruby Pretty, or these:
> http://ruby.sadi.st/Ruby_S...

I found nothing for 'ruby Pretty' do you have a link maybe
I've installed Ruby Sadist, but analysing the results is a bit too
complicated for me at rightnow.

Do you know http://perlc.... It's really cool especially for
learning and improving your perl skills. Something like this for ruby
would be awesome.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Casimir <pikEISPAMMMseli@welho.com> wrote:
> Perhaps you could use different code profiling tools and benchmarks to learn
> what works well and what doesn't?
>
> For example, look at ruby Pretty, or these:
> http://ruby.sadi.st/Ruby_S...
>
> Casimir Pohjanraito
>
> Ben Aurel kirjoitti:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ben Aurel <ben.aurel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi
>>> After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
>>> sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
>>> experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
>>> comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
>>> Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent ruby
>>> code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but with
>>> a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
>>> Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
>>> similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
>>> to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
>>> 'oh god that's probably wrong'.
>>> So the thing I'm looking for is a mailinglist where I can post my
>>> pathetic code in order to discuss it with some more experienced
>>> writers.
>>> thanks
>>> ben

Ben Aurel

> so post away!

on workingwithrails.com your authority level is 50% and the popularity
level is 96% so I guess I must believe you :-)

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Frederick Cheung
<frederick.cheung@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2008, at 11:53, Ben Aurel wrote:
>>
>> A little accretion to my post: I asked for the beginner list because I
>> have the habbit of asking stupid questions. It's often the only way
>> for me to understand things, but I also want to avoid by any means to
>> piss people off by 'polluting' 'their' mailinglist.
>>

> Hi Ben,
>
> There isn't a beginners list, so post away! There's some talk about whether
> or not one should be created, but nothing concrete has happened yet.
>
> Fred
>
>> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Ben Aurel <ben.aurel@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi
>>> After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
>>> sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
>>> experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
>>> comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
>>> Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent ruby
>>> code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but with
>>> a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
>>> Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
>>> similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
>>> to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
>>> 'oh god that's probably wrong'.
>>> So the thing I'm looking for is a mailinglist where I can post my
>>> pathetic code in order to discuss it with some more experienced
>>> writers.
>>> thanks
>>> ben

Trans

On Aug 12, 6:41=A0am, "Ben Aurel" <ben.au...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
> After working with some ruby projects and playing with existing
> sources I decided to finally get my hands dirty. It's an interesting
> experiences with similarities of learning a human language where your
> comprehension skills are far more better than your speaking skills.
> Basically the problem I have that I've written too much excellent ruby
> code, without a deeper knowldedge of what the code really do, but with
> a rather feeling 'that looks terse' vs. 'that looks clunky'.
> Now that I actually begin to write code of my own, I find myself in a
> similar position as somebody after a brainsurgery trying to learn how
> to speak. Its grinding and for every line I write I think for myself
> 'oh god that's probably wrong'.

Every line you write will have to be rewritten 10 times. You can
usually tell poor code b/c it looks as if it has only been rewritten 5
times ;)

T.