What to do ?

Mini Skirt

8/9/2008 2:18:00 AM

Hey, I learnt Ruby for a school project I had to do a while ago.

It was superficial knowledge so I wanted to develop it so I read the
Pickaxe book as well as the Ruby Way.

Now I know a lot about Ruby ... but don't know what to do ...
I mean, I have no real use for it in my daily work, and knowing all that
great stuff is frustrating ...

`hope you understand my POV ...

thx

Robert Klemme

On 09.08.2008 04:17, Mini Skirt wrote:
> Hey, I learnt Ruby for a school project I had to do a while ago.
>
> It was superficial knowledge so I wanted to develop it so I read the
> Pickaxe book as well as the Ruby Way.
>
> Now I know a lot about Ruby ... but don't know what to do ...
> I mean, I have no real use for it in my daily work, and knowing all that
> great stuff is frustrating ...
>
> `hope you understand my POV ...

Sort of. If nobody gives you a programming task or if you do not have
an idea of some project that you want to do for yourself then there's
probably little room for exercising your Ruby-foo right now.

A place where you could look for Ruby programming tasks are those sites
like rubyforge.org or sourceforge.net, i.e. pick an open source project
that sounds interesting or that you would like to contribute to. Do
some patches or suggestions, hand them in so people see what you are
doing and how you are doing it and eventually become a member of the
team - if you wish so.

Another option might be to pick a book on algorithms and data
structures, work your way through it and reimplement examples presented
in Ruby. This will help your Ruby-foo while at the same time providing
some valuable basic computer science knowledge - valuable of course only
if you embark on a career that involves software development in one way
or another.

A little bit of comfort might be that your newly acquired knowledge is
not dead. You might not have an immediate use for it but it might be
useful later - maybe even in ways that you do not imagine right now.

Having said that I hope you nevertheless enjoy Ruby and using it. :-)

Kind regards

robert