Inconsistent block parameters handling by instance_eval

Patrick Li

8/8/2008 8:30:00 PM

class A
def A.method &block
A.new.instance_eval &block
end

def A.method2 &block
A.new.instance_eval {block.call}

A.method{p self} #prints #<A:0x28c2858>

A.method2{p self} #prints main

From this example: is instance_eval even working in method2? It clearly
shows that block is not called in A's context.
-Patrick

Stefano Crocco

On Friday 08 August 2008, Patrick Li wrote:
> class A
> def A.method &block
> A.new.instance_eval &block
> end
>
> def A.method2 &block
> A.new.instance_eval {block.call}
>
> A.method{p self} #prints #<A:0x28c2858>
>
> A.method2{p self} #prints main
>
> From this example: is instance_eval even working in method2? It clearly
> shows that block is not called in A's context.
> -Patrick

The effect of instance_eval is to set the variable "self" to the receiver for
the duration of the block. In the first case, everything works as expected. In
the second case, instead, self is changed only for the outer block, while in
the inner block "self" remains what it were when the block was defined.
There's nothing new here: the environment in which the block is executed
doesn't affect its variables and the fact that instance_eval treats the outer
block in a special way doesn't otherwise change things.

I hope this helps

Stefano

Patrick Li

hmmm.... that makes sense.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive though. .. but i guess it would have to
be this way, otherwise closures won't work.
Thanks for the explanation Stefano.
-Patrick

Bareback Insane O'bungler

On Apr 13, 10:27 pm, "5979 Dead, 1122 since 1/20/09" <d...@gone.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:46:05 -0700, Bareback Insane O'bungler wrote:
> > On Apr 13, 7:08 pm, "5979 Dead, 1122 since 1/20/09" <d...@gone.com>
> > wrote:

> >> But a significantly smaller amount of all taxes combined.  You keep
> >> "forgetting" to mention that.
>
> > Because it's meaningless, gerbil boy
>
> >> Oh, and you also forget to mention that they have over 90% of the
> >> discretionary income.
>
> > Jealous, you shit-eating-retard?
>
> Nope.  Just disgusted.

LOL!!!! That's jealousy, you shit eating retard!!!!

> Both with their greed,

Who decides what is "greed"?
You and your gerbil smugglers?
ROFL!!!! Yeah, that'll be the day!

> and your cringing servility.

I'm not jealous, shit eater.
It's not my money.

Milt

On Apr 15, 8:40 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:42:10 -0400, Larry Hewitt
>

> <larryh...@comporium.net> wrote:
> >On 4/15/2011 6:35 AM, Steve wrote:

> >> <LOL>   Payroll taxes....  Leftists want other to fund their health
> >> care and retirement programs too.
>
> >bwahaha,
>
> >Learn to read.
>
> >You pay A HIGHER PERCENTAGE at $58k for payroll taxes alone than many
> >millionaiares pay for all taxes
>
> So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all.

Yet more proof that you are so full of shit your ears smell like
farts. Anyone who has ever had to meet a payroll or worked for himself
knows that they are, indeed, taxes. If you ever worked for yourself
and decided not to pay them because you didn't feel like it, then I'm
sure you got a letter from the IRS asking you to explain why you
didn't pay your TAXES.

> They are for funding of
> your Medicare and Social security.

No they're not, you fool. They are for funding current recipients of
Medicare and Social Security, and to provide a surplus to cover the
shortfall that will occur when baby boomer retirements peak.

> Can you explain why somebody else
> should pay for funding YOUR  Medicare and Social security?

The same reason someone else pays your SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE
(and your SSI Disability), you idiot. It's the same reason people with
health insurance get their $500,000 in medical expenses paid when they
get really sick or injured, even though they haven't paid that much
into the system. Same reason your car insurance company will pay
$50,000 to replace that Mercedes you hit, even though you haven't paid
that much into your policy.

That's what insurance is, you twit. You pay into a pool, and when you
need something, it's paid for, even if you've only paid premiums for
six months.

Seriously, the fact that you think payroll taxes aren't "real taxes"
certifies to me that, despite your claims to the contrary, you have
never met a payroll. They are part of any employee's compensation.
Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, Worker's
Compensation -- all are taxes. (Worker's comp isn't specifically a tax
in every state, but it still has to be paid.)

So, tell us again what a top notch businessman you are, Sparky.

And please don't respond with your usual reposting of things you claim
I said. Not only are most of them wrong, but none of the links even
work, you troll.

And with that, I leave again. You're not even fun to play with
anymore.

Milt

On Apr 15, 1:21 pm, "Freedom dude" <don'tbot...@spamfree.com> wrote:
> "Steve"  wrote in messagenews:j2fgq65nit5bog68ihgpt2flp7cj5bcgmk@4ax.com...
>
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:42:10 -0400, Larry Hewitt
>

> <larryh...@comporium.net> wrote:
> >On 4/15/2011 6:35 AM, Steve wrote:

> >> <LOL>   Payroll taxes....  Leftists want other to fund their health
> >> care and retirement programs too.
>
> >bwahaha,
>
> >Learn to read.
>
> >You pay A HIGHER PERCENTAGE at $58k for payroll taxes alone than many
> >millionaiares pay for all taxes
>
> So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all.  They are for funding of
> your Medicare and Social security.  Can you explain why somebody else
> should pay for funding YOUR  Medicare and Social security

> Steve, where in the world did you learn that? Payroll tax is "income tax"
> deduction.
> Social Security tax is called S.S. Tax. Do you work for living? If you do,
> go ahead and
> check the stub of your check next payday.

He claims to be a self-made wealthy person, and he claims he's owned
several businesses. If he has, then he should know that they ARE a
tax, and that failure to pay them will bring the IRS down on you.

Milt

On Apr 15, 6:26 pm, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:36:26 -0700, "5979 Dead, 1122 since 1/20/09"
>

> <d...@dead.net> wrote:
> >On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:21:19 -0700, "Freedom dude"
> ><don'tbot...@spamfree.com> wrote:
>
> >>"Steve"  wrote in messagenews:j2fgq65nit5bog68ihgpt2flp7cj5bcgmk@4ax.com...

> >>So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all.  They are for funding of
> >>your Medicare and Social security.  Can you explain why somebody else
> >>should pay for funding YOUR  Medicare and Social security
>
> >>================================================================
> >>Steve, where in the world did you learn that? Payroll tax is "income tax"
> >>deduction.
> >>Social Security tax is called S.S. Tax. Do you work for living? If you do,
> >>go ahead and
> >>check the stub of your check next payday.
>
> No matter what they call it, it's a contribution or better still, a
> payment, not a tax.

You are such a dipshit.

You're thinking of the FICA, or Federal Insurance Contributions Act,
as Social Security and Medicare USED to be euphemistically referred.
It's been TWENTY-FIVE YEARS since they were called that, you dolt. and
they were never actually a contribution in the strictest sense,
anyway. if you were ever self-employed, and failed to pay them, they
didn't just cut your benefits; they would collect them the same as any
other tax. they called it FICA, because that's how FDR and the
Democrats got it through Congress.

> You are, in fact, paying for the benefit you want
> to receive in the future and essentially, everyone pays the same in
> for the same benefit out.

I thought you were supposedly self-employed at one time. have you ever
decided to pay less than the 12.9% Social Security "payment," because
you didn't feel like it one quarter?

> >"So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all"
>
> That's what FDR said when he instituted SS.  SS is a program where the
> benefit paid is based primarily on how much you contributed,
> regardless of how much you earned.  You pay the same price, you get
> the same benefit back.  Leftists aren't happy with having to pay their
> contribution.  They want somebody else to pick up their tab.

God, are you stupid. Your benefit doesn't increase that much based on
what you paid in, and it's most certainly not proportional.
Approximately half of all wage earners will get roughly the same
benefit, regardless of how much they paid in.

It is a TAX, genius. If you don't believe me, perhaps you'll believe
the IRS:

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax and Self-Employment

If you work as an employee in the United States, you must pay social
security and Medicare taxes in most cases. Your payments of these
taxes contribute to your coverage under the U.S. social security
system. Social security coverage provides retirement benefits and
medical insurance (Medicare) benefits to individuals who meet certain
eligibility requirements. Your employer deducts these taxes from each
wage payment. Your employer must deduct these taxes even if you do not
expect to qualify for social security or Medicare benefits.

In general, U.S. social security and Medicare taxes apply to payments
of wages for services performed as an employee in the United States,
regardless of the citizenship or residence of either the employee or
the employer. In limited situations, these taxes apply to wages for
services performed outside the United States. Your employer should be
able to tell you if social security and Medicare taxes apply to your
wages. You cannot make voluntary social security payments if no taxes
are due.

Dipshit.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=10493...

> >Looks like I have a new sig.

Steve

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:30:06 -0700 (PDT), Milt <milt.shook@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 15, 1:21?pm, "Freedom dude" <don'tbot...@spamfree.com> wrote:
>> "Steve" ?wrote in messagenews:j2fgq65nit5bog68ihgpt2flp7cj5bcgmk@4ax.com...
>>
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:42:10 -0400, Larry Hewitt
>>

>> <larryh...@comporium.net> wrote:

>> >bwahaha,
>>
>> >Learn to read.
>>
>> >You pay A HIGHER PERCENTAGE at $58k for payroll taxes alone than many
>> >millionaiares pay for all taxes
>>
>> So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all. ?They are for funding of
>> your Medicare and Social security. ?Can you explain why somebody else
>> should pay for funding YOUR ?Medicare and Social security

>> Steve, where in the world did you learn that? Payroll tax is "income tax"
>> deduction.
>> Social Security tax is called S.S. Tax. Do you work for living? If you do,
>> go ahead and
>> check the stub of your check next payday.
>
>He claims to be a self-made wealthy person, and he claims he's owned
>several businesses. If he has, then he should know that they ARE a
>tax, and that failure to pay them will bring the IRS down on you.

<LOL> Calling it a tax doesn't make it a tax,,

People pay into Social Security in order to secure a retirement benefit, IOW, they're buying a service rather than paying a tax.

Everyone that pays the same amount in will get about the same benefit out. Taxes don't work like that.

Steve

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:28:54 -0700 (PDT), Milt <milt.shook@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 15, 8:40?am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 07:42:10 -0400, Larry Hewitt
>>

>> <larryh...@comporium.net> wrote:

>> >bwahaha,
>>
>> >Learn to read.
>>
>> >You pay A HIGHER PERCENTAGE at $58k for payroll taxes alone than many
>> >millionaiares pay for all taxes
>>
>> So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all.
>
>Yet more proof that you are so full of shit your ears smell like
>farts.

<chuckle> Blah, blah, blah, from Shook..

>Anyone who has ever had to meet a payroll or worked for himself
>knows that they are, indeed, taxes.

<Big chuckle> Wow, that's quit an argument from Shook..

> If you ever worked for yourself
>and decided not to pay them because you didn't feel like it, then I'm
>sure you got a letter from the IRS asking you to explain why you
>didn't pay your TAXES.

<Bigger chuckle> Milt's arguments that SS contributions are taxes is
so <LOL> compelling

>> They are for funding of
>> your Medicare and Social security.
>
>No they're not, you fool. They are for funding current recipients of
>Medicare and Social Security, and to provide a surplus to cover the
>shortfall that will occur when baby boomer retirements peak.

Like I said, they are for funding of your Medicare and Social
security.

>> Can you explain why somebody else
>> should pay for funding YOUR ?Medicare and Social security?
>
>The same reason someone else pays your SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE
>(and your SSI Disability), you idiot. It's the same reason people with
>health insurance get their $500,000 in medical expenses paid when they
>get really sick or injured, even though they haven't paid that much
>into the system. Same reason your car insurance company will pay
>$50,000 to replace that Mercedes you hit, even though you haven't paid
>that much into your policy.

People pay into Social Security in order to secure a retirement
benefit, IOW, they're buying a service rather than paying a tax.

>That's what insurance is, you twit. You pay into a pool, and when you
>need something, it's paid for, even if you've only paid premiums for
>six months.
>
>Seriously, the fact that you think payroll taxes aren't "real taxes"
>certifies to me that, despite your claims to the contrary, you have
>never met a payroll.

<chuckle> Blah, blah, blah, from Shook..

> They are part of any employee's compensation.
>Social Security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, Worker's
>Compensation -- all are taxes. (Worker's comp isn't specifically a tax
>in every state, but it still has to be paid.)

<chuckle> Blah, blah, blah, from Shook..

>So, tell us again what a top notch businessman you are, Sparky.

People pay into Social Security in order to secure a retirement
benefit, IOW, they're buying a service rather than paying a tax.

>And please don't respond with your usual reposting of things you claim
>I said. Not only are most of them wrong, but none of the links even
>work, you troll.

The following is a Milt Shook Quote showing how ignorant Milt really
is about Social security.
"Well, see, this is simply stupid. In fact, being married
actually CUTS Social Security benefits for both."
--Milt Shook MAy 21, 2008
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.society.liberalism/msg/e76631f45f45...

Canyon note: Here's the facts. Being married does not "cut"
your benefits but it does allow one spouse the opportunity
to take half of his/her spousal benefit if it's larger than
his/her own.

Milt

On Apr 17, 9:13 pm, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:30:06 -0700 (PDT), Milt <milt.sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Apr 15, 1:21 pm, "Freedom dude" <don'tbot...@spamfree.com> wrote:
> >> "Steve"  wrote in messagenews:j2fgq65nit5bog68ihgpt2flp7cj5bcgmk@4ax..com...

> >> So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all.  They are for funding of
> >> your Medicare and Social security.  Can you explain why somebody else
> >> should pay for funding YOUR  Medicare and Social security
>
> >> ================================================================
> >> Steve, where in the world did you learn that? Payroll tax is "income tax"
> >> deduction.
> >> Social Security tax is called S.S. Tax. Do you work for living? If you do,
> >> go ahead and
> >> check the stub of your check next payday.
>
> >He claims to be a self-made wealthy person, and he claims he's owned
> >several businesses. If he has, then he should know that they ARE a
> >tax, and that failure to pay them will bring the IRS down on you.
>
> <LOL>  Calling it a tax doesn't make it a tax,,

When the law, the government and the courts call it a fucking tax, you
idiot, it is a TAX. When they can throw your ass in jail for not
paying it, it's a TAX.

> People pay into Social Security in order to secure a retirement benefit, IOW, they're buying a service rather > than paying a tax.

Nope. They pay into it because they're required to. They are required
to, even if they never live long enough to connect. If I don't live
beyond 67 years, 9 months of age, my heirs don't get diddly squat. On
the other hand, if I live to be 107 years, 9 months of age, I collect
it for 40 years, even if I get everything I paid into it within the
first 10.

> Everyone that pays the same amount in will get about the same benefit out.. Taxes don't work like that.

Why not? Because you say so?

And The benefit amount is figured using a number of different factors,
and it is not based on how much was paid in; it's based on earnings.
You know, because the assumption is that, for every dollar you earned,
you paid TAX on that dollar.

http://1.usa....

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax and Self-Employment

If you work as an employee in the United States, you must pay social
security and Medicare taxes in most cases. Your payments of these
taxes contribute to your coverage under the U.S. social security
system. Social security coverage provides retirement benefits and
medical insurance (Medicare) benefits to individuals who meet certain
eligibility requirements. Your employer deducts these taxes from each
wage payment. Your employer must deduct these taxes even if you do not
expect to qualify for social security or Medicare benefits.

In general, U.S. social security and Medicare taxes apply to payments
of wages for services performed as an employee in the United States,
regardless of the citizenship or residence of either the employee or
the employer. In limited situations, these taxes apply to wages for
services performed outside the United States. Your employer should be
able to tell you if social security and Medicare taxes apply to your
wages. You cannot make voluntary social security payments if no taxes
are due.

Milt

On Apr 17, 9:13 pm, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:28:54 -0700 (PDT), Milt <milt.sh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >On Apr 15, 8:40 am, Steve <stevencan...@yahooooo.com> wrote:

> >> So called payroll taxes aren't taxes at all.
>
> >Yet more proof that you are so full of shit your ears smell like
> >farts.
>
> <chuckle>  Blah, blah, blah, from Shook..
>
> >Anyone who has ever had to meet a payroll or worked for himself
> >knows that they are, indeed, taxes.
>
> <Big chuckle>  Wow, that's quit an argument from Shook..

Yes, it is a hell of an argument. They're taxes. You have to pay them
as an employer. Moreover, if you're self-employed, you have to pay all
of them.

> >  If you ever worked for yourself
> >and decided not to pay them because you didn't feel like it, then I'm
> >sure you got a letter from the IRS asking you to explain why you
> >didn't pay your TAXES.
>
> <Bigger chuckle>  Milt's arguments that SS contributions are taxes is
> so <LOL> compelling

Social Security Tax / Medicare Tax and Self-Employment

http://1.usa....

If you work as an employee in the United States, you must pay social
security and Medicare taxes in most cases. Your payments of these
taxes contribute to your coverage under the U.S. social security
system. Social security coverage provides retirement benefits and
medical insurance (Medicare) benefits to individuals who meet certain
eligibility requirements. Your employer deducts these taxes from each
wage payment. Your employer must deduct these taxes even if you do not
expect to qualify for social security or Medicare benefits.

In general, U.S. social security and Medicare taxes apply to payments
of wages for services performed as an employee in the United States,
regardless of the citizenship or residence of either the employee or
the employer. In limited situations, these taxes apply to wages for
services performed outside the United States. Your employer should be
able to tell you if social security and Medicare taxes apply to your
wages. You cannot make voluntary social security payments if no taxes
are due.

> >> They are for funding of
> >> your Medicare and Social security.
>
> >No they're not, you fool. They are for funding current recipients of
> >Medicare and Social Security, and to provide a surplus to cover the
> >shortfall that will occur when baby boomer retirements peak.
>
> Like I said, they are for funding of your Medicare and Social
> security

No. They're funding the CURRENT recipients' Social Security and
Medicare, and a surplus to pay for future shortfalls.

http://1.usa....

> >> Can you explain why somebody else
> >> should pay for funding YOUR  Medicare and Social security?
>
> >The same reason someone else pays your SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE
> >(and your SSI Disability), you idiot. It's the same reason people with
> >health insurance get their $500,000 in medical expenses paid when they
> >get really sick or injured, even though they haven't paid that much
> >into the system. Same reason your car insurance company will pay
> >$50,000 to replace that Mercedes you hit, even though you haven't paid
> >that much into your policy.
>
> People pay into Social Security in order to secure a retirement
> benefit, IOW, they're buying a service rather than paying a tax.

No, they pay them because they have to. Even if you have $5 million in
your IRA for retirement, you don't get to opt out, because it's a
TAX.

http://1.usa....

It's a tax. http://1.usa....

It's a tax. http://1.usa....