Updating Ruby on Windows & Installed Gems

John T.

8/6/2008 1:13:00 PM

Hello,

I'd like to update the version of Ruby I have on this Windows box
(installed using the One Click installer), which is currently at 1.8.6
(2007-03-13 patchlevel 0). I'll use either the p111 version of the One
Click installer, or the patched version offered by Mike Hodgson at
http://www.mikehodgson.com/ruby186-...

However, the first step to installing the update is to uninstall the
current version. Will that nuke all of the installed gems I currently
have? How can I preserve my gems (currently 80!)

Thanks!

John

Luis Lavena

On Aug 6, 3:13 pm, "John T." <joh...@charter.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to update the version of Ruby I have on this Windows box
> (installed using the One Click installer), which is currently at 1.8.6
> (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0). I'll use either the p111 version of the One
> Click installer, or the patched version offered by Mike Hodgson athttp://www.mikehodgson.com/ruby186-...
>
> However, the first step to installing the update is to uninstall the
> current version. Will that nuke all of the installed gems I currently
> have? How can I preserve my gems (currently 80!)
>
> Thanks!

Inside your installation of One-Click Installer, there is a gems
folder:

Example for ruby installed in C:/Ruby

C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

1) Use Explorer to browse to that folder and copy it's contents into a
safe place.

2) Uninstall current One-Click Installer

3) Installer newer version (you pick one, I suggest stick to 1.8.6
with patches).

4) Copy back your contents in the same folder.

5) Done.

It should work, verify it for your self :-D

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

John T.

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Aug 6, 3:13�pm, "John T." <joh...@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> It should work, verify it for your self :-D
>
> HTH,

I'll give it a try. One thing I realized/noticed, the individual
commands for some of the gems ('rails', 'capify', 'autotest', etc') live
in c:\ruby\bin. I'll make a backup of that too! (and keep a list of my
installed gems... just in case!)

Thanks

John T.

John T. wrote:

> I'll give it a try. One thing I realized/noticed, the individual
> commands for some of the gems ('rails', 'capify', 'autotest', etc') live
> in c:\ruby\bin. I'll make a backup of that too! (and keep a list of my
> installed gems... just in case!)
>
> Thanks

Just for future reference. I did save a copy of the c:\ruby\bin and the
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 directories. Good thing I saved the bin
directory! After uninstalling, the whole c:\ruby directory was gone.
After reinstalling, I hand copied the missing files from my back up of
c:\ruby\bin to the newly created one, and just replaces the whole
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 with the backup. Everything seems to be
working fine!

Thanks!