Odd CSV behavior

Binh Ly

8/4/2008 6:30:00 AM

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone out there can help me troubleshoot a strange problem
that I'm experiencing with CSV files.

I download a file, in CSV format, from a website and when I try to parse
with CSV and Faster CSV I get the following error.

/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:639:in `get_row': CSV::IllegalFormatError
(CSV::IllegalFormatError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:556:in `each'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:531:in `parse'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:311:in `open_reader'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:85:in `open'

But if I open the CSV file in TextMate, select all of the contents,
paste and save that content into a new CSV file, created with TextMate,
the CSV parser can process it just fine.

Anyone have any idea about what might be causing this?

Thanks,

binh

kranthi reddy

I think the csv file you have must be corrupted .
Check out with the file.
Kranthi.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Binh Ly <binh@pigbaby.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm hoping someone out there can help me troubleshoot a strange problem
> that I'm experiencing with CSV files.
>
> I download a file, in CSV format, from a website and when I try to parse
> with CSV and Faster CSV I get the following error.
>
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:639:in `get_row': CSV::IllegalFormatError
> (CSV::IllegalFormatError)
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:556:in `each'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:531:in `parse'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:311:in `open_reader'
> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/csv.rb:85:in `open'
>
> But if I open the CSV file in TextMate, select all of the contents,
> paste and save that content into a new CSV file, created with TextMate,
> the CSV parser can process it just fine.
>
> Anyone have any idea about what might be causing this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> binh

Ryan Davis

On Aug 3, 2008, at 23:29 , Binh Ly wrote:

> But if I open the CSV file in TextMate, select all of the contents,
> paste and save that content into a new CSV file, created with
> TextMate,
> the CSV parser can process it just fine.

My guess is end of line format for the next file. Maybe you're reading
the whole file in as a single line and the EOL char is confusing CSV.
TextMate could be reformatting it when you save it out.