Error installing Ruby-Debug : unreachable host???

Bob Miner

VERY new to Ruby....talk to me like I'm 6 years old :-)
I'm tryin to install a debugger.

Downloaded Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem
When I type GEM INSTALL RUBY-DEBUG
I get :
A Socket operation attempted to an unreachable host

Not using rails....all I've done is install Ruby-one-click into an XP
laptop.

Bob Miner

Alright...no response.
I must have left out some info, or I typed an undecipherable
question....lemme rephrase:

I need a debugger for Ruby. Any suggestions where to get one & how to
load it?

Adam Shelly

n 8/6/08, Bob Miner <bobminer@lobo.net> wrote:
>Downloaded Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem
>When I type GEM INSTALL RUBY-DEBUG
>I get :
> A Socket operation attempted to an unreachable host
>
> I need a debugger for Ruby. Any suggestions where to get one & how to
> load it?

That is a network error of some sort - I get a similar one due to my
office firewall.

But if you have already downloaded Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem onto your harddrive,
then all you need to do is change to the download directory and type
`gem install -l Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem`

The -l for local makes it skip the attempt to connect to the network.

If you haven't downloaded it, you can get it from
rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-debug/

-Adam

Bob Miner

> then all you need to do is change to the download directory and type
> `gem install -l Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem`

Thanks for helpin Adam, but I get this error.
ERROR: While executing gem ... <OptonParser::InvalidOption>
invalid option: -1

I'm on Ruby ver 1.8 (I think???)
I ran that from the download dir where Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem and 3 other
files that came along w/ the download are.

Adam Shelly

On 8/6/08, Bob Miner <bobminer@lobo.net> wrote:
> > then all you need to do is change to the download directory and type
> > `gem install -l Ruby-Debug-0.10.1.gem`
>
> Thanks for helpin Adam, but I get this error.
> ERROR: While executing gem ... <OptonParser::InvalidOption>
> invalid option: -1

did you use a number -1 instead of the letter -l ?

Bob Miner

Adam Shelly wrote:
> did you use a number -1 instead of the letter -l ?

Oops...I'd assumed number one. But I tried it w/ the letter L (-l) and
got THIS stupid error

"ruby-debug requires colunmize >= 0.1"

Gary DW

In article <S1koq.6437$Oz5.3060@newsfe16.iad>, vandar69
@yahoo.com says...

> Yoorghis@Jurgis.net wrote:

> >>The Democrats took control of both houses of Congress in January 2007.
> >

> > They had a "majority" you dumb asshole
> >
> > Do you have to have civics explained to you so that you can correctly
> > use the term "control" in a claim?
>
> Don't like the term? Too bad. That's the term. The Democrats took
> control of both houses in 2007.
>
> Are you implying that even when they are the minority party, Republicans
> are in control? If so, you're saying the Democrats are incapable of leading.

No, just unwilling to simply change the filibuster rules
in the Senate... rules that worked for decades until the
CULT took over the Republicans.

Read my sig:

--
Modern conservatism is a cult. Neither it nor its voters
can be reasoned with. Attempting to pragmatically

-Digby

David Hartung

On 10/21/2011 02:52 PM, 6280 Dead, 1423 since 1/20/09 wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:49:50 -0400, Vandar<vandar69@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yoorghis@Jurgis.net wrote:

>>> They had a "majority" you dumb asshole
>>>
>>> Do you have to have civics explained to you so that you can correctly
>>> use the term "control" in a claim?
>>
>> Don't like the term? Too bad. That's the term. The Democrats took
>> control of both houses in 2007.
>>
>> Are you implying that even when they are the minority party, Republicans
>> are in control? If so, you're saying the Democrats are incapable of leading.
>
> They blocked or filibustered over 300 measures that came out of the
> House in their first two years--more than all the Senates in US
> history combined.

Something to consider: http://tinyurl.c...

[...]
This is astonishing. A filibuster is the successful use of 41 or more
votes to prevent the closing of debate. There wasn?t a single filibuster
in 2009. Not one.
[...]

I'm not certain of this is the best description of a filibuster, but it
does provide food for thought.

Gary DW

In article
<s4idnczgSc6ddzzTnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
david@hotmai*l.com says...

> On 10/21/2011 02:52 PM, 6280 Dead, 1423 since 1/20/09 wrote:

> >> Don't like the term? Too bad. That's the term. The Democrats took
> >> control of both houses in 2007.
> >>
> >> Are you implying that even when they are the minority party, Republicans
> >> are in control? If so, you're saying the Democrats are incapable of leading.
> >
> > They blocked or filibustered over 300 measures that came out of the
> > House in their first two years--more than all the Senates in US
> > history combined.
>
> Something to consider: http://tinyurl.c...
>
> [...]
> This is astonishing. A filibuster is the successful use of 41 or more
> votes to prevent the closing of debate. There wasn?t a single filibuster
> in 2009. Not one.
> [...]

What a dishonest FUCK! No wonder David quotes him.. and
read the sheaples comments! Does ANY rightie know what
a cloture vote is??

> I'm not certain of this is the best description of a filibuster, but it
> does provide food for thought.

You have to include filibusters AND the threats to use
them.

Why?

They have virtually the exact same effect.

Ever hear of the word "cloture" Mr "I got 33 of 33 right
on a civics test?"

--
Modern conservatism is a cult. Neither it nor its voters
can be reasoned with. Attempting to pragmatically
compromise with them in the hopes of
deflecting criticism, "changing Washington" and winning
"independent" voters is a waste of time.

-Digby

Gary DW

In article
<s4idnczgSc6ddzzTnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
david@hotmai*l.com says...

> On 10/21/2011 02:52 PM, 6280 Dead, 1423 since 1/20/09 wrote:

> >> Don't like the term? Too bad. That's the term. The Democrats took
> >> control of both houses in 2007.
> >>
> >> Are you implying that even when they are the minority party, Republicans
> >> are in control? If so, you're saying the Democrats are incapable of leading.
> >
> > They blocked or filibustered over 300 measures that came out of the
> > House in their first two years--more than all the Senates in US
> > history combined.
>
> Something to consider: http://tinyurl.c...
>
> [...]
> This is astonishing. A filibuster is the successful use of 41 or more
> votes to prevent the closing of debate. There wasn?t a single filibuster
> in 2009. Not one.
> [...]
>
> I'm not certain of this is the best description of a filibuster, but it
> does provide food for thought.

Maybe you should show your rightie moron source this or
something:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clot...,
_United_States_Senate,_1947_to_2008.svg

or http://tinyurl.c...

--

On 10/21/2011 05:26 PM, Gary DW wrote:
> In article
> <s4idnczgSc6ddzzTnZ2dnUVZ_gWdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> david@hotmai*l.com says...

>>> They blocked or filibustered over 300 measures that came out of the
>>> House in their first two years--more than all the Senates in US
>>> history combined.
>>
>> Something to consider: http://tinyurl.c...
>>
>> [...]
>> This is astonishing. A filibuster is the successful use of 41 or more
>> votes to prevent the closing of debate. There wasn?t a single filibuster
>> in 2009. Not one.
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm not certain of this is the best description of a filibuster, but it
>> does provide food for thought.
>
> Maybe you should show your rightie moron source this or
> something:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clot...,
> _United_States_Senate,_1947_to_2008.svg
>
> or http://tinyurl.c...

As I said, why is this an issue?

Why should the Republicans not use whatever tactics they have available
in order to prevent legislation they believe to be bad, from becoming law?