Ruby 1.9 webservers?

David Masover

8/2/2008 3:19:00 PM

The combination I'm trying to make work is Ruby1.9 + Ramaze + Rack? + ?

I'm told there are some issues with Rack, so that might be the problem.
Mongrel won't install at all (it wants fastthread).

Ebb is the strangest -- it keeps Ruby at 100% CPU, but seems to work (Ramaze
responds as I'd expect it to.) Thin and Webrick keep Ruby at 3-5% CPU, but
also seem to work. Keep in mind this is with pretty much the "Hello World"
Ramaze app, and without any requests -- whatever it is seems to be entirely
external to the app.

I'm running 1.9.0 (2007-12-25, rev 14709) -- could that be the issue? Is there
some "hello world" Rack app I could use to make sure it's not a Ramaze issue?
And is there some combination of framework / webserver / 1.9 version which
works?

Yes, I know it wouldn't be production ready, and would very likely be entirely
unstable. This is just an experiment, though; it will never have more than
ten users.

3 Answers

David Masover

On Saturday 02 August 2008 10:18:38 David Masover wrote:

> Ebb is the strangest -- it keeps Ruby at 100% CPU, but seems to work (Ramaze
> responds as I'd expect it to.) Thin and Webrick keep Ruby at 3-5% CPU, but
> also seem to work.

I have to amend this -- the 3-5% was apparently caused by Ramaze's somewhat
zealous reloading scheme.

However, even with this off, Ebb is still at 100%. I suppose I should file a
bug against Ebb, then...

matu

David Masover wrote:

> On Saturday 02 August 2008 10:18:38 David Masover wrote:
>
>> Ebb is the strangest -- it keeps Ruby at 100% CPU, but seems to work
>> (Ramaze responds as I'd expect it to.) Thin and Webrick keep Ruby at 3-5%
>> CPU, but also seem to work.
>
> I have to amend this -- the 3-5% was apparently caused by Ramaze's
> somewhat zealous reloading scheme.
>
> However, even with this off, Ebb is still at 100%. I suppose I should file
> a bug against Ebb, then...

i think something in your environment is broken.

James Dinkel

matu wrote:
> David Masover wrote:
>
>> a bug against Ebb, then...
> i think something in your environment is broken.

Considering that Ruby 1.9.0-0 is very much a beta, if not alpha, quality
release, I would say a bug is not remotely out of the question.
However, there are newer versions in the 1.9.0 line. I would suggest
starting over with ruby 1.9.0-3 and see how things go. If you still
have issues, then you might consider filing a bug report, but I don't
really know if I would file against ebb or ruby.

By the way, you probably won't be able to find a package for 1.9.0-3.
You'll probably have to compile it from source.

James