Cool Projects

Alasdair Bell

7/31/2008 11:11:00 AM

So, anyone working on something awesome?

Brag here...

Kyrre Nygård

You want ideas? :)

----- Original Message -----
From: Alasdair Bell <alasdair@seedcamp.com>
Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:11 pm
Subject: Cool Projects
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org (ruby-talk ML)

> So, anyone working on something awesome?
>
> Brag here...

Shadowfirebird

I think perhaps "awesome" is in the eye of the beholder.

My current learning-ruby project is to write a MUSH from the ground
up. I think this is astonishingly awesome (me? A whole MUSH?). I
doubt anyone else would.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM, "Kyrre Nyg=E5rd" <kyrreny@broadpark.no> wr=
ote:
> You want ideas? :)

--=20
Me, I imagine places that I have never seen / The colored lights in
fountains, blue and green / And I imagine places that I will never go
/ Behind these clouds that hang here dark and low
But it's there when I'm holding you / There when I'm sleeping too /
There when there's nothing left of me / Hanging out behind the
burned-out factories / Out of reach but leading me / Into the
beautiful sea

Uwe Kubosch

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 20:10 +0900, Alasdair Bell wrote:
> So, anyone working on something awesome?
>
> Brag here...

Working on a system with administration using Rails, central operations
like dispatching with a Java + SWT thick client, and distributed
operations using an in-vehicle computer running JRuby + SWT thick
client. Communication using ActiveMessaging and ActiveMQ with yaml
payload over WAN.

Life is good :)

Uwe

Jason Roelofs

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Uwe Kubosch <uwe@kubosch.no> wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 20:10 +0900, Alasdair Bell wrote:
>> So, anyone working on something awesome?
>>
>> Brag here...
>
> Working on a system with administration using Rails, central operations
> like dispatching with a Java + SWT thick client, and distributed
> operations using an in-vehicle computer running JRuby + SWT thick
> client. Communication using ActiveMessaging and ActiveMQ with yaml
> payload over WAN.
>
> Life is good :)
>

> Uwe

Since you ask

http://rbplusplus.rub...

Though what Uwe's doing, wow.

Jason

David Masover

At my day job, I'm working on a Rails app which powers... Actually, I can't
talk about that yet. Oh well.

By night, I've been occasionally working on a lightweight Actor
implementation, which isn't really ready for release yet. It's my solution to
not being able to choose between Erlang's concurrency and Ruby's awesome
syntax. On the weekend, I'll likely rewrite it from scratch -- again.

...Would it make sense to add a #threadsafe? method to Object?

Mark Firestone

I'm still working on the Ruby BBS. Sometimes I even have it working.

I've almost got the full screen editor that Dossy prototyped for me
working... but I haven't had time to finish it because all my certs
have to be reupped...

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Shadowfirebird
<shadowfirebird@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think perhaps "awesome" is in the eye of the beholder.
>
> My current learning-ruby project is to write a MUSH from the ground
> up. I think this is astonishingly awesome (me? A whole MUSH?). I
> doubt anyone else would.
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:11 PM, "Kyrre Nyg=E5rd" <kyrreny@broadpark.no> =
wrote:
>> You want ideas? :)

--=20
001100010010011110100001101101110011

James Britt

Alasdair Bell wrote:
> So, anyone working on something awesome?

Monkeybars

The fastest, cleanest, most fun way to build robust, sophisticated,
cross-platform desktop applications.

http://www.monk...

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Michael Neumann

Alasdair Bell wrote:
> So, anyone working on something awesome?

RubyJS? A Ruby to Javascript compiler.

> Brag here...

Pablo Q.

rb++, I didn't know that this cool stuff exist! Thanks

--
Pablo Q.

Todd Benson

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Alasdair Bell <alasdair@seedcamp.com> wrote:
> So, anyone working on something awesome?

Pet projects:

- IT knowledge base and ticketing system. It's been done before, but
I'm doing it a little different. No offense to loyalists, but I'm
trying to avoid Rails and ActiveRecord

- GPS realtime mapping with console/visual for boating using
S57/ISO8211 based charts from NOAA (realtime doesn't have to be "real"
realtime, but it's an option with C extensions); probably using Shoes

- Ruby interfacing with a foodnetwork style database for personal
recipe use, but possibly for restaurateurs someday with inventory and
orders (I know, that almost sounds like severely high hopes)

These sit, unfortunately, at the wayside for the time being. I've
built the database schema for each of these set ups, but I haven't
fully tackled the Ruby interfaces yet.

Awesome? I'm not so sure, but it is fun!

Todd