Compile on windows

Ronn Ross

Hello all,

I'm running Ruby on windows xp. I made changes to the keywords file and
would like to recompile the Ruby source to see my changes. How do I
recompile Ruby source on windows?

Thanks in advance

2 Answers

Roger Pack

You could download and tweak the source for the mingw download. I think
:)

http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/21/testing-the-new-one-click-ruby-installer-f...

http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/26/still-playing-with-ruby-...

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wik...

Those talk about how to compile it with mingw.
With MSVC I'm not sure how :)

Good luck.

-R

Ronn Ross wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm running Ruby on windows xp. I made changes to the keywords file and
> would like to recompile the Ruby source to see my changes. How do I
> recompile Ruby source on windows?
>
> Thanks in advance

Nobuyoshi Nakada

At Wed, 30 Jul 2008 23:58:54 +0900,
Ronn Ross wrote in [ruby-talk:309582]:
> I'm running Ruby on windows xp. I made changes to the keywords file and
> would like to recompile the Ruby source to see my changes. How do I
> recompile Ruby source on windows?

1. install cygwin including necessary packages: autoconf,
binutils, bison, gcc, gcc-mingw, gperf, make and
mingw-runtime,

2. make build directory under the source directory,
chdir ruby/src/
mkdir i386-mingw32
chdir i386-mingw32

3. run configure with CC='gcc -mno-cygwin',
../configure CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'

4. compile and install
make all install DESTDIR=x:/path/to/install

Note that you need gperf command because you changed keywords.

--
Nobu Nakada