Use of special character like @ in irb

mosar

7/21/2008 10:08:00 AM

The version I use is 0.9.5. I want to code @ name = name(for example)
but I cannot print the @. I I know that there is an option in the
command line but I do not find it.
Thanks for your help

Jean Moser
8 Answers

Glen Holcomb

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:04 AM, mosar <jean.moser@neuf.fr> wrote:

> The version I use is 0.9.5. I want to code @ name = name(for example)
> but I cannot print the @. I I know that there is an option in the
> command line but I do not find it.
> Thanks for your help
>
> Jean Moser

I think your question has confused me however all you need to do to enter an
@ sign in irb is hold shift and press '2'. You can't have a space between
the @ and the rest of the token though.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Dejan Dimic

On Jul 21, 3:12 pm, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:04 AM, mosar <jean.mo...@neuf.fr> wrote:
> > The version I use is 0.9.5. I want to code @ name = name(for example)
> > but I cannot print the @. I I know that there is  an option  in the
> > command line but I do not find it.
> > Thanks for your help
>
> > Jean Moser
>
> I think your question has confused me however all you need to do to enter an
> @ sign in irb is hold shift and press '2'.  You can't have a space between
> the @ and the rest of the token though.
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

C:\>irb --version
irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)

C:\>irb
irb(main):001:0> @name = "dejan"
=> "dejan"
irb(main):002:0> p @name
"dejan"
=> nil
irb(main):003:0> def name
irb(main):004:1> "dejan"
irb(main):005:1> end
=> nil
irb(main):006:0> @name = name
=> "dejan"
irb(main):007:0> p @name
"dejan"
=> nil
irb(main):008:0> exit

We obviously miss something in question?
Very puzzling!?

Ben Bleything

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Glen Holcomb wrote:
> I think your question has confused me however all you need to do to enter an
> @ sign in irb is hold shift and press '2'. You can't have a space between
> the @ and the rest of the token though.

This assumes that every keyboard has an @ above the 2, which is not the
case. The original poster seems to be French. Here's one example of a
french keyboard layout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_lay...

There was a thread about this a little while ago. Unfortunately, I
don't remember what the outcome was. A little search might turn it up!

Ben

Glen Holcomb

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ben Bleything <ben@bleything.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Glen Holcomb wrote:
> > I think your question has confused me however all you need to do to enter
> an
> > @ sign in irb is hold shift and press '2'. You can't have a space
> between
> > the @ and the rest of the token though.
>
> This assumes that every keyboard has an @ above the 2, which is not the
> case. The original poster seems to be French. Here's one example of a
> french keyboard layout:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_lay...
>
> There was a thread about this a little while ago. Unfortunately, I
> don't remember what the outcome was. A little search might turn it up!
>
> Ben

Good point. I was thinking the numbers were fairly standard. I still think
the language barrier popped up in the entirety of the question it's self
before I started being Ameri-centric.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

mosar

On 21 juil, 18:51, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ben Bleything <b...@bleything.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Glen Holcomb wrote:
> > > I think your question has confused me however all you need to do to enter
> > an
> > > @ sign in irb is hold shift and press '2'. You can't have a space
> > between
> > > the @ and the rest of the token though.
>
> > This assumes that every keyboard has an @ above the 2, which is not the
> > case. The original poster seems to be French. Here's one example of a
> > french keyboard layout:
>
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_lay...
>
> > There was a thread about this a little while ago. Unfortunately, I
> > don't remember what the outcome was. A little search might turn it up!
>
> > Ben
>
> Good point. I was thinking the numbers were fairly standard. I still think
> the language barrier popped up in the entirety of the question it's self
> before I started being Ameri-centric.
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Thanks for your information.As a matter of fact I have a swiss
keyboard. On the third key I have " (2nd level), 2 and @ on the first
level.I use Scite to write my programs and the @ character is
acessible.When I switch to irb (in the shell) when I strike on @
nothing happens.It seems that inside irb I should change the keyboard
layout ?
Hi Brothers, how difficult is the climbing of Babel Tower but how nice
is the variety of languages !

Glen Holcomb

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:24 AM, mosar <jean.moser@neuf.fr> wrote:

> On 21 juil, 18:51, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ben Bleything <b...@bleything.net>
> wrote:
> enter
> > > an
> > > between
> >
> > > This assumes that every keyboard has an @ above the 2, which is not the
> > > case. The original poster seems to be French. Here's one example of a
> > > french keyboard layout:
> >
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_lay...
> >
> > > There was a thread about this a little while ago. Unfortunately, I
> > > don't remember what the outcome was. A little search might turn it up!
> >
> > > Ben
> >
> > Good point. I was thinking the numbers were fairly standard. I still
> think
> > the language barrier popped up in the entirety of the question it's self
> > before I started being Ameri-centric.
> >
> > --
> > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> speak
> > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
> >
> > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
>
> Thanks for your information.As a matter of fact I have a swiss
> keyboard. On the third key I have " (2nd level), 2 and @ on the first
> level.I use Scite to write my programs and the @ character is
> acessible.When I switch to irb (in the shell) when I strike on @
> nothing happens.It seems that inside irb I should change the keyboard
> layout ?
> Hi Brothers, how difficult is the climbing of Babel Tower but how nice
> is the variety of languages !

Can you get the @ sign in the shell you launch irb from?

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

mosar

On 22 juil, 15:13, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 3:24 AM, mosar <jean.mo...@neuf.fr> wrote:
> > On 21 juil, 18:51, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

> > enter

> > > Good point. I was thinking the numbers were fairly standard. I still
> > think
> > > the language barrier popped up in the entirety of the question it's self
> > > before I started being Ameri-centric.
>
> > > --
> > > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> > speak
> > > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> > > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
>
> > Thanks for your information.As a matter of fact I have a swiss
> > keyboard. On the third key I have " (2nd level), 2 and @ on the first
> > level.I use Scite to write my programs and the @ character is
> > acessible.When I switch to irb (in the shell) when I strike on @
> > nothing happens.It seems that inside irb I should change the keyboard
> > layout ?
> > Hi Brothers, how difficult is the climbing of Babel Tower but how nice
> > is the variety of languages !
>
> Can you get the @ sign in the shell you launch irb from?
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Sorry but I have to answer no.
Jean Moser

Glen Holcomb

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 9:54 AM, mosar <jean.moser@neuf.fr> wrote:

> On 22 juil, 15:13, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

> > > enter
> space

> the
> of a

> up!

> still
> > > think
> self

> > > speak

> > > Thanks for your information.As a matter of fact I have a swiss
> > > keyboard. On the third key I have " (2nd level), 2 and @ on the first
> > > level.I use Scite to write my programs and the @ character is
> > > acessible.When I switch to irb (in the shell) when I strike on @
> > > nothing happens.It seems that inside irb I should change the keyboard
> > > layout ?
> > > Hi Brothers, how difficult is the climbing of Babel Tower but how nice
> > > is the variety of languages !
> >
> > Can you get the @ sign in the shell you launch irb from?
> >
> > --
> > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> speak
> > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
> >
> > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
>
> Sorry but I have to answer no.
> Jean Moser

It sounds like your keyboard is mapped differently on the console than it is
in your GUI, which is what I expected. I think irb should use the same
keyboard mapping as your console/shell/terminal since that is what launches
the irb process. The best advice I can give is to try and figure out how to
change the mapping on your terminal/console. I would think that if you can
get an @ sign there you will be able to get it in irb.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)