Problem with Array

Muzaffar Hameed

7/17/2008 2:35:00 PM

Hi!

If some one can help me to fix this code. I want to store the value of
faulty_array[num] in faulty_line[i] and correct_array[num] in
correct_line[i] so that I can access them at later stage. I will be
thankful.

faulty_line=[]
correct_line=[]

c_length=correct_array.length
f_length=faulty_array.length

c_length.times do |num|

if correct_array[num] != faulty_array[num]

faulty_line[i]= faulty_array[num] #problem arises at this line
correct_line[i]= correct_array[num] #problem arises at this line

puts faulty_line[0]
puts faulty_line[0]

Glen Holcomb

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:35 AM, M. Muzaffar <muzaffar@muzaffar.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> If some one can help me to fix this code. I want to store the value of
> faulty_array[num] in faulty_line[i] and correct_array[num] in
> correct_line[i] so that I can access them at later stage. I will be
> thankful.

> faulty_line=[]
> correct_line=[]
>
> c_length=correct_array.length
> f_length=faulty_array.length
>
> c_length.times do |num|
>
> if correct_array[num] != faulty_array[num]
>
> faulty_line[i]= faulty_array[num] #problem arises at this line
> correct_line[i]= correct_array[num] #problem arises at this line

> puts faulty_line[0]
> puts faulty_line[0]

I'm not positive what you are trying to do here. However from the code you
have posted i never changes so you will continuously overwrite
faulty_line[i] and correct_line[i].

If you are trying to correlate line numbers with line data maybe a hash
would be better? For example:

array_of_errors # this would be an array
error_line_numbers # this would be an array

errors = {}

error_line_numbers.each do |line_number|
errors[line_number.to_sym] = array_of_errors[line_number]
end

of course this also assumes a one to one mapping of the line_number and
line_data arrays.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)