So who's coming to RubyFringe?

Oliver Saunders

7/17/2008 12:41:00 PM

...I am! Hope you meet some of you guys over here.

Kent Fenwick

Can we still get tickets??

I live in Toronto, but didn't hear about this one until a few weeks ago.

Kent

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Oliver Saunders <oliver.saunders@gmail.com>
wrote:

> ...I am! Hope you meet some of you guys over here.

Oliver Saunders

Very very unlikely, also it starts....tomorrow. So you don't have much
time. :-)

Although there are two events you can come to for free. Failcamp
tomorrow (free but part of RubyFringe) -
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2... and the, now
legendary, Rails Pub Nite -
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=rail... where I imagine there
will be a lost of post-Rubyfringe reflection.

Kent Fenwick wrote:
> Can we still get tickets??
>
> I live in Toronto, but didn't hear about this one until a few weeks ago.
>
> Kent
>
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Oliver Saunders
> <oliver.saunders@gmail.com>

James Britt

Kent Fenwick wrote:
> Can we still get tickets??
>
> I live in Toronto, but didn't hear about this one until a few weeks ago.

There seem to be an increasing number of Ruby events whose organizers
don't bother announcing on ruby-talk.

ruby-talk seems to be the real fringe, nowadays.

--
James Britt

www.happycamperstudios.com - Wicked Cool Coding

Austin Ziegler

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kent Fenwick wrote:
>> Can we still get tickets??
>> I live in Toronto, but didn't hear about this one until a few weeks ago.
> There seem to be an increasing number of Ruby events whose organizers don=
't
> bother announcing on ruby-talk.
>
> ruby-talk seems to be the real fringe, nowadays.

=85or even coordinating with other Rubyists in their community.

-austin, going anyway
--=20
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/
* austin@zieglers.ca

Oliver Saunders

Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Kent Fenwick wrote:
>>> Can we still get tickets??
>>> I live in Toronto, but didn't hear about this one until a few weeks ago.
>> There seem to be an increasing number of Ruby events whose organizers don't
>> bother announcing on ruby-talk.
>>
>> ruby-talk seems to be the real fringe, nowadays.
>
> �or even coordinating with other Rubyists in their community.
>
> -austin, going anyway

I don't think anyone at Unspace is the mailing list type. Although I can
faithfully deny the fact that they don't coordinate with the community.
They are the ones that developed the Ruby community in Toronto and are
further developing by organizing this conference in the first place.

I don't know exactly how RubyFringe was promoted but it has been sold
out for quite a while so they didn't need any additional publicity.

Fret not! If it's any good I'm sure they'll be another one.

Austin Ziegler

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:09 PM, Oliver Saunders
<oliver.saunders@gmail.com> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:01 PM, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> There seem to be an increasing number of Ruby events whose organizers d=
on't
>>> bother announcing on ruby-talk.
>>>
>>> ruby-talk seems to be the real fringe, nowadays.
>>
>> =85or even coordinating with other Rubyists in their community.
>>
>> -austin, going anyway
>
> I don't think anyone at Unspace is the mailing list type. Although I can
> faithfully deny the fact that they don't coordinate with the community.
> They are the ones that developed the Ruby community in Toronto and are
> further developing by organizing this conference in the first place.

This statement is not correct. They did *not* develop the Ruby
community in Toronto. They tapped a growing *Rails* community in
Toronto, but they did nothing for the Ruby community as such. Hint:
look at trug.ca for the Ruby community in Toronto. I didn't start it,
and I miss the meetings as often as I make them, but that's what I
mean=97there are people who equate Unspace with Ruby in Toronto. I've
been trying to get RubyConf (the *real* Ruby conference) to come to
Toronto for several years.

I like Pete Forde a lot, and he wouldn't make this claim. Don't make it for=
him.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/
* austin@zieglers.ca

Oliver Saunders

> This statement is not correct. They did *not* develop the Ruby
> community in Toronto. They tapped a growing *Rails* community in
> Toronto, but they did nothing for the Ruby community as such. Hint:
> look at trug.ca for the Ruby community in Toronto. I didn't start it,
> and I miss the meetings as often as I make them, but that's what I
> mean�there are people who equate Unspace with Ruby in Toronto. I've
> been trying to get RubyConf (the *real* Ruby conference) to come to
> Toronto for several years.

As always there the temptation to lump together Rails and Ruby.
Afterall, what is good for Rails is good for Ruby too; just about.

Also trug.ca, correct me if I'm wrong is a small community compared with
the ~40 attendees of Rails Pub Nite.

Oliver Saunders

Oliver Saunders wrote:
>> This statement is not correct. They did *not* develop the Ruby
>> community in Toronto. They tapped a growing *Rails* community in
>> Toronto, but they did nothing for the Ruby community as such. Hint:
>> look at trug.ca for the Ruby community in Toronto. I didn't start it,
>> and I miss the meetings as often as I make them, but that's what I
>> mean�there are people who equate Unspace with Ruby in Toronto. I've
>> been trying to get RubyConf (the *real* Ruby conference) to come to
>> Toronto for several years.
>
> As always there the temptation to lump together Rails and Ruby.
> Afterall, what is good for Rails is good for Ruby too; just about.
>
> Also trug.ca, correct me if I'm wrong is a small community compared with
> the ~40 attendees of Rails Pub Nite.

That's ~40 for each Pub Nite not in total. :-)

James Britt

Austin Ziegler wrote:

> I'd dispute that what's good for Rails is good for Ruby, at that. But
> that's a discussion for a different time and a different place.

I agree on both counts. :)