bparanj@gmail.com

7/16/2008 7:35:00 PM

I have Ruby 1.8.5 patch-level xyz and Ruby 1.8.5 with no patch-level
on two different machines. The newer version of Ruby that has the
patch info autoloads ftools.rb automatically where as the older
version of Ruby does not. My question : Is there a way for me to load
the ftools.rb automatically in the older version of Ruby? TIA.
3 Answers

Nobuyoshi Nakada

At Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:35:13 +0900,
bparanj@gmail.com wrote in [ruby-talk:308363]:
> I have Ruby 1.8.5 patch-level xyz and Ruby 1.8.5 with no patch-level
> on two different machines. The newer version of Ruby that has the
> patch info autoloads ftools.rb automatically where as the older
> version of Ruby does not. My question : Is there a way for me to load
> the ftools.rb automatically in the older version of Ruby? TIA.

No such patch has been incorporated. And ftools.rb had been
obsolete.

--
Nobu Nakada

bparanj@gmail.com

It is not obsolete, http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/repositories/changes/ruby-187/lib...

It is still in Ruby 1.8.7. Am I missing something here?

> No such patch has been incorporated.  And ftools.rb had been
> obsolete.
>
> --
> Nobu Nakada

Eric Hodel

On Jul 17, 2008, at 13:35 PM, bparanj@gmail.com wrote:
>> No such patch has been incorporated. And ftools.rb had been
>> obsolete.
>
> It is not obsolete, http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/repositories/changes/ruby-187/lib...
>
> It is still in Ruby 1.8.7. Am I missing something here?

It is removed in ruby 1.9. It cannot be removed in 1.8 as old
programs depend on it.