gem update

José Cruz

I'm behind a firewall. How can I update ruby modules?

If I try to do a

>gem update --system

I get the following error:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)

PS: Windows XP SP3 - Ruby 1.8.6

Thanks!

Glen Holcomb

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Jos=E9 Cruz <jose.cruz@sifactory.com> wrot=
e:

> Hi,
>
> I'm behind a firewall. How can I update ruby modules?
>
> If I try to do a
>
> >gem update --system
>
> I get the following error:
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
>
> PS: Windows XP SP3 - Ruby 1.8.6
>

> Thanks!

Can you ping http://gems.ruby...

--=20

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

José Cruz

No!

Glen Holcomb wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM, José Cruz <jose.cruz@sifactory.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
>> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
>>
>> PS: Windows XP SP3 - Ruby 1.8.6
>>

>> Thanks!
>> --
>>

> Can you ping http://gems.ruby...
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Glen Holcomb

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Jos=E9 Cruz <jose.cruz@sifactory.com> wrot=
e:

> No!
>

> Glen Holcomb wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Jos=E9 Cruz <jose.cruz@sifactory.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
> >> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
> >>
> >> PS: Windows XP SP3 - Ruby 1.8.6
> >>

> >> Thanks!
> >> --
> >>

> > Can you ping http://gems.ruby...
> >
> > --
> > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> > speak
> > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
> >
> > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Sounds like it is either your firewall or DNS/Routing problems then. In
other words it's more of a system/network problem than a ruby one. You
could try downloading and installing it manually if you can get to the gem
to download it.

http://www.ghostonthird.com/2007/12/17/manually-downloading-and-in...
gems/

--=20

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

O. Sapauschke

José Cruz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm behind a firewall. How can I update ruby modules?
>
> If I try to do a
>
>>gem update --system
>
> I get the following error:
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
>
> PS: Windows XP SP3 - Ruby 1.8.6
>

> Thanks!

Hi,

if its a proxy problem u can try to set an environment variable in
windows
via <Control Panel:System:Advanced:Environment Variables>
HTTP_PROXY = http://usr:pwd@myproxy:port

it worked for me ;-)