Re: MS SQL 2005 Express and MySQL on Windows

Deepak Vohra

7/11/2008 4:47:00 AM

Kyle,
=A0
SQL Server 2005 Express may be connected with Ruby on Rails.
=A0
thanks,
Deepak

--- On Thu, 7/10/08, Kyle <kyle.rabe@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Kyle <kyle.rabe@gmail.com>
Subject: MS SQL 2005 Express and MySQL on Windows
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org>
Date: Thursday, July 10, 2008, 7:50 PM

The short question: Has anybody successfully connected to both MS SQL
2005 Express and MySQL databases using Ruby on Windows XP? How?

The long description: My company's point-of-sale system uses MS SQL.
A recent upgrade to the software required an upgrade of the database.
I was using ruby on ubuntu with DBI to synchronize the POS (MSSQL
2000) and site (MySQL) databases. When I upgraded the POS database to
2005 Express, using ODBC didn't work anymore - that is, until I got a
driver from EasySoft that will cost 499 pounds if I want to use it for
more than 14 days.

My next thought was, "Oh, I'll put ruby on Windows and use MS's
ODBC
driver to connect." That worked fine, but now I'm having troubles
getting to a MySQL database using DBI. I can't seem to load the
module. I get errors about LIBMYSQL.DLL not existing, and if I
install the mysql gem, I get other errors (sorry - I'm not by that
machine now).

I'm using the Windows 1-click installer (186-26). When I try to build
DBI, I get compile errors. I'm also unable to build the mysql-ruby (or
ruby-mysql) package that the DBI resources seem to point to.
Essentially, it looks like I'm having driver errors...or something
like that. I'll try to give more info tomorrow.

Does anybody have suggestions? I'd really appreciate any help, and
I'll be happy to respond with more info.

Thanks!

-Kyle