from ruby/RoR to Java (framework unknown) :

vc

7/4/2008 5:32:00 PM

My company today decided to ditch ruby development and to develop new web
applications only with Java or .net.
Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
Sigh. No more ruby for me (in office hours).
But anyway: are here some Java devs who may suggest some Java frameworks
similar to RoR? Maybe something that emulates Activerecord and is as
flexible, powerful and convenient to use as the ActionPack?
30 Answers

Ryan Davis

On Jul 4, 2008, at 10:31 , S2 wrote:

> My company today decided to ditch ruby development and to develop
> new web
> applications only with Java or .net.
> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
> Sigh. No more ruby for me (in office hours).

most people at this stage would be posting their resume, not a
question about "good" java frameworks. :P

Phlip

S2 wrote:

> My company today decided to ditch ruby development and to develop new web
> applications only with Java or .net.

Quit.

Were you using RoR with unit tests?

> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.

Was there a rationale? Did an executive read a magazine article or something?

--
Phlip

vc

Ryan Davis wrote:

> most people at this stage would be posting their resume, not a
> question about "good" java frameworks. :P

monster.com and rubynow are my friends :)
but in the mean time i have to keep paying for my mortgage.

--
http://s2.d...

vc

phlip wrote:

> Quit.

i probably will.

> Were you using RoR with unit tests?

no. everything was fine actually. apps where developed quickly, used "cool"
ajax stuff that excited our clients and developers where quite happy.

>> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
>
> Was there a rationale?

no.

> Did an executive read a magazine article or
> something?

probably. i think the main reason is that management does not want to have 3
separate development lines (RoR, Java and .NET) for Web apps. I think they
want to unify the development Frameworks/languages so they can relocate
Staff from one project to an other without loosing to much "learn" time.

--
http://s2.d...

Robert Dober

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2008, at 10:31 , S2 wrote:
>
>> My company today decided to ditch ruby development and to develop new web
>> applications only with Java or .net.
>> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
>> Sigh. No more ruby for me (in office hours).
>
> most people at this stage would be posting their resume, not a question
> about "good" java frameworks. :P

Maybe, but as someone who certainly is not like most people (with the
exception that I guess that many people are exactly like this, but
this would lead to a tangent I am afraid) I see an alternative.

Would you think you could some jar files like jruby.jar ? ;)

Cheers
Robert

--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blo...

---
AALST (n.) One who changes his name to be further to the front
D.Adams; The Meaning of LIFF

Robert Dober

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM, S2 <x@y.z> wrote:
> phlip wrote:
>
>> Quit.
>
> i probably will.
>
>> Were you using RoR with unit tests?
>
> no. everything was fine actually. apps where developed quickly, used "cool"
> ajax stuff that excited our clients and developers where quite happy.
>
>>> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
>>
>> Was there a rationale?
>
> no.
Of course there was, you stated it yourself above, "developers were
quite happy", sorry for my pessimistic look at this.
Apart of the idea that jruby might come in handy this decision really
looks odd to me.
Maybe somebody wants to sink the ship? Well at least, if they do, they
seem to be good at it sigh.
R.

vc

Robert Dober wrote:

> Of course there was, you stated it yourself above, "developers were
> quite happy", sorry for my pessimistic look at this.

I don't think they are *that* evil :)

> Apart of the idea that jruby might come in handy this decision really
> looks odd to me.

No. jruby will not be an option. If that was the case I would not look for
some other job. I think we/they are going to use the Seam Framework, but
it's still not sure. They asked me to join the team who gets to evaluate
the various available frameworks, but every time I look at a hibernate
config file I get goose-flesh.

> Maybe somebody wants to sink the ship?

I don't think so. I think it's only ignorance.

> Well at least, if they do, they
> seem to be good at it sigh.

Have some arguments I could tell management? You never know...

--
http://s2.d...

Phlip

S2 wrote:

>> Were you using RoR with unit tests?
>
> no. everything was fine actually. apps where developed quickly, used "cool"
> ajax stuff that excited our clients and developers where quite happy.

You would have been faster and more ... assertive ... with unit tests.

Use assert_javascript to test Ajax.

Your Java and .NET offerings will limp far behind RoR's test abilities.

>>> Current RoR applications will be migrated to Java.
>> Was there a rationale?
>
> no.

You have a boss who is allowed to decree things without giving a rationale?

> probably. i think the main reason is that management does not want to have 3
> separate development lines (RoR, Java and .NET) for Web apps. I think they
> want to unify the development Frameworks/languages so they can relocate
> Staff from one project to an other without loosing to much "learn" time.

So, no pair programming, and they want to make knowledge transfer easier by
reducing the amount of knowledge required. Gotcha!

vc

phlip wrote:

> You have a boss who is allowed to decree things without giving a
> rationale?

Yes. I asked to get some devs and PMs together and get an analysis done on
the migration, what we lose and what we would gain by dropping RoR for
Java, but "for now we don't have the time. New development should be done
in Java".

> So, no pair programming, and they want to make knowledge transfer easier
> by reducing the amount of knowledge required. Gotcha!

Exactly. I'm not sure I understand your point?

--
http://s2.d...

Phlip

S2 wrote:

> Yes. I asked to get some devs and PMs together and get an analysis done on
> the migration, what we lose and what we would gain by dropping RoR for
> Java, but "for now we don't have the time. New development should be done
> in Java".

At my day job we use pure XP with RoR. We use promiscuous pair programming,
meaning we switch pairs every 2 hours. We use pure Test Driven Development, with
refactoring & continuous integration. We have a very high velocity and a
vanishing bug rate.

Since I got there, our team has increased to 6, and we will get 2 more as soon
as we remodel. I really doubt we could talk our executives into switching back
to Java, or switching from XP to something else... like "Agile".

Your worksite has issues that prevent your executives from seeing which systems
are working better than others. There's an old adage, "If I had 6 hours to cut
down a tree, I would spend the first 3 hours sharpening my ax".

Your bosses think the more strokes required to cut down a tree, the more
"progress" you made. That's what a 600 line configuration file is - 600 more
strokes with a dull ax.

>> So, no pair programming, and they want to make knowledge transfer easier
>> by reducing the amount of knowledge required. Gotcha!
>
> Exactly. I'm not sure I understand your point?

Exactly... you are not sure? (-;

If you are not pair programming, then knowledge is indeed hard to transfer at
team swap time. So your execs think they can reduce the total amount of
knowledge required. Yet more strokes to cut down that tree!

--
Phlip