Embedded usage message, ascii terminal output, markup

Stephen Prather

7/3/2008 5:49:00 AM

Hi everybody--

I'm trying to do something I thought would be simple. I'm trying to do
what Perl's Pod::Usage can do. How do I embed a usage message and mark
up a word I want to be bold, such that when it renders to a
color/bold-capable ascii terminal, the word is actually in bold font?

I've tried using rdoc/usage with <b>tags</b>, but that renders like so:

*tags*

with surrounding asterisks instead of true bold font.

All documentation modules seem obsessed with html output. Has the good
'ol unix terminal been forgotten by ruby? I'm confused. What have I
missed?

Thanks,
--Myles

Adam Shelly

On 7/2/08, Stephen Prather <smprather@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody--
>
> I'm trying to do something I thought would be simple. I'm trying to do
> what Perl's Pod::Usage can do. How do I embed a usage message and mark
> up a word I want to be bold, such that when it renders to a
> color/bold-capable ascii terminal, the word is actually in bold font?

how about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape...

Stephen Prather

Adam Shelly wrote:
> On 7/2/08, Stephen Prather <smprather@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody--
>>
>> I'm trying to do something I thought would be simple. I'm trying to do
>> what Perl's Pod::Usage can do. How do I embed a usage message and mark
>> up a word I want to be bold, such that when it renders to a
>> color/bold-capable ascii terminal, the word is actually in bold font?
>>

> how about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape...

Yeh, I know how to do it manually. But I was looking, basically, for a
clone of Perl's Pod::Usage that would allow me to use markup tags to
generate output that looks just like it came from man. Sounds like this
doesn't exist for Ruby. That's a bit of a shock.