Mac OS X 10.5.4 - no new Ruby?

matt

7/1/2008 10:06:00 PM

The Mac OS X 10.5.4 update came out yesterday, but it did not update the
installed Ruby to 1.8.7. I thought the idea that this sort of thing
would happen was part of the promise of keeping Ruby in a system library
framework...? m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits...
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-custom...

Lyle Johnson

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM, matt neuburg <matt@tidbits.com> wrote:

> The Mac OS X 10.5.4 update came out yesterday, but it did not update the
> installed Ruby to 1.8.7. I thought the idea that this sort of thing
> would happen was part of the promise of keeping Ruby in a system library
> framework...?

I think that Ruby 1.8.7 breaks so many things (including all versions
of Rails prior to Rails 2.1) that it's probably for the best that
Apple stuck with Ruby 1.8.6.

Stefan Krüger

Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 5:08 PM, matt neuburg <matt@tidbits.com> wrote:
>
>> The Mac OS X 10.5.4 update came out yesterday, but it did not update the
>> installed Ruby to 1.8.7. I thought the idea that this sort of thing
>> would happen was part of the promise of keeping Ruby in a system library
>> framework...?
>
> I think that Ruby 1.8.7 breaks so many things (including all versions
> of Rails prior to Rails 2.1) that it's probably for the best that
> Apple stuck with Ruby 1.8.6.

well I hope they fixed the nasty bugs found by an apple employee :)

another thing that might hold apple back from updating ruby is that
there's no dtrace patch for 1.8.7 yet...

just my 0,02 cents

Vince Angeloni

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> I think that Ruby 1.8.7 breaks so many things (including all versions
> of Rails prior to Rails 2.1) that it's probably for the best that
> Apple stuck with Ruby 1.8.6.

Well, it would be nice to know that they at least patched the security
hole.
(http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/20/apple.tech.finds....)
You really can't expect the average user to do this themselves...

vince

Yossef Mendelssohn

On Jul 1, 7:23 pm, Vince Angeloni <nospam7...@mac.com> wrote:
> Well, it would be nice to know that they at least patched the security
> hole.
> (http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/20/apple.tech.finds....)
> You really can't expect the average user to do this themselves...

The update is covered at http://support.apple.com... and
http://support.apple.com....

The first mentions security update 2008-004, which is the second. You
can see a couple of mentions of Ruby in the list.

--
-yossef

Laurent Sansonetti

As other said, 1.8.7 has still some incompatibilities, which is the
main reason why we didn't upgrade to it.

As for the Ruby changes in 10.5.4, check out http://ruby.macosforge.or...

Laurent

Laurent Sansonetti <laurent.sansonetti@gmail.com> wrote:

> As other said, 1.8.7 has still some incompatibilities, which is the
> main reason why we didn't upgrade to it.
>
> As for the Ruby changes in 10.5.4,
> check out http://ruby.macosforge.or...

Thanks, I'll try. The site seems to be down right now. That there were
changes in REXML is evident... m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits...
Leopard - http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/leopard-custom...
AppleScript - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...
Read TidBITS! It's free and smart. http://www.t...

Jaypee

matt neuburg a écrit :
> The Mac OS X 10.5.4 update came out yesterday, but it did not update the
> installed Ruby to 1.8.7. I thought the idea that this sort of thing
> would happen was part of the promise of keeping Ruby in a system library
> framework...? m.

You may wish to try MacRuby, it is a MacPort of 1.9, in ObjectiveC,
meaning that Ruby objects are native ObjC object, making the
interoperability as smooth as possible and letting you write Cocoa
application much easier.

J-P