[ANN] ruby-oci8 1.0.2

KUBO Takehiro

6/29/2008 12:34:00 PM

ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.

http://rubyforge.org/projects/...

gem and mswin32 binary gem are also available from this release.

What's new in ruby-oci8 1.0.2.

1. add a gemspec file.
(Thanks to Jesse Hu)

To make a pure ruby gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

To make a binary gems package:
gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec -- current

2. [BUG FIX] fix a segv bug in gc mark.
(Thanks to authorNari)

11 Answers

vc

KUBO Takehiro wrote:

> ruby-oci8 1.0.2 is released. This is a Oracle module using OCI8 API.

Just want to say THANK YOU for this.

Jesse Hu

It's Great. Thanks KUBO.

--
Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Hu

Hi Kubo,

I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.

Error msg:

ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure world
writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
(ld.so.conf)... not found
checking for cc... ok
checking for gcc... yes
checking for LP64... no
checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.
My env:
ruby 1.8.6
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib

--
Cheers,
Jesse

Ollivier Robert

In article <5d847bcd0806290536r1282c9f2je0ea8dea17694689@mail.gmail.com>,
KUBO Takehiro <kubo@jiubao.org> wrote:
> To make a pure ruby gems package:
> gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec

That is looking very nice, thanks. Does that mean that I can install it on
MacOS X/Intel which has no Oracle native client/libraries?

Thanks,
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/RIF/SEU -=-
Systems Engineering Unit

KUBO Takehiro

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Ollivier Robert
<roberto@removethis.eu.org> wrote:
> In article <5d847bcd0806290536r1282c9f2je0ea8dea17694689@mail.gmail.com>,
> KUBO Takehiro <kubo@jiubao.org> wrote:
>> To make a pure ruby gems package:
>> gem build ruby-oci8.gemspec
>
> That is looking very nice, thanks. Does that mean that I can install it on
> MacOS X/Intel which has no Oracle native client/libraries?

No. It needs Oracle client libraries and a C compiler.
I may confuse you. What should I refer to no-binary gem as?

--
KUBO Takehiro
kubo@jiubao.org

KUBO Takehiro

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Jesse Hu <yizhih@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kubo,
>
> I failed to install ruby-oci8 gem on Linux.
>
> Error msg:
>
> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: Error installing ruby-oci8:
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> /usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install ruby-oci8
> checking for load library path... ./oraconf.rb:359: warning: Insecure world
> writable dir /opt in PATH, mode 040777
> (LD_LIBRARY_PATH)...
> (ld.so.conf)... not found
> checking for cc... ok
> checking for gcc... yes
> checking for LP64... no
> checking for ruby header... *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details. You may need configuration options.
> My env:
> ruby 1.8.6
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib

Is it an instant client rpm package?
I guess you didn't export LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
To check it, could you try the gem in the following URL?
http://www.jiubao.org/tmp/ruby-oci8...

It prints more information on checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

--
KUBO Takehiro
kubo@jiubao.org

Ollivier Robert

In article <5d847bcd0806300731i76d60fd4o4a5e4ea9f67292c7@mail.gmail.com>,
KUBO Takehiro <kubo@jiubao.org> wrote:
>No. It needs Oracle client libraries and a C compiler.
>I may confuse you. What should I refer to no-binary gem as?

You need to clarify what are the differences between a "pure ruby gem" and a
binary one then.

Does anyone know BTW how to get some kind of Oracle client for MacOS X?

Thanks.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/RIF/SEU -=-
Systems Engineering Unit

Greg Donald

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Ollivier Robert
<roberto@removethis.eu.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know BTW how to get some kind of Oracle client for MacOS X?

I use the Oracle SQL Developer tool:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/sql_developer/...

--
Greg Donald
http://des...

ara.t.howard

On Jun 30, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> Does anyone know BTW how to get some kind of Oracle client for MacOS
> X?

http://drawohara.com/post/40435232/ruby-rails-installing-the-oracle-instant-client-...

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Ollivier Robert

In article <15e66e4e0806300819k5b090b9ar8615265f3bfbf27e@mail.gmail.com>,
Greg Donald <gdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
>I use the Oracle SQL Developer tool:

Thanks but connecting and using Oracle DB is not a problem, having a working
ruby-oci8 is :)

Ara gave me the solution, thanks!
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- EEC/RIF/SEU -=-