[ANN] Ruby WX

Hans Fugal

6/27/2008 12:46:00 PM

Ruby WX (not to be confused with wxRuby) version 0.1.5 is released. This
is a bugfix release, but I also added a binary called metar that fetches
and decodes the current METAR for a station, e.g.

$ metar klru
KLRU 271231Z AUTO 22005KT 10SM CLR 24/12 A3011 RMK AO2
Conditions at: KLRU
Temperature/Dewpoint: 24°C / 12°C (75.2°F / 53.6°F) [RH 46.4%]
Pressure (altimiter): 30.11 inches Hg (1019.6 mb)
Winds: 220.0 degrees (SW) at 5 knots (5.8 MPH; 2.6 m/s)
Visibility: 10 mi
Clouds: Clear below 12000 ft
Remarks: AO2

http://hans.fugal.net/s...
2 Answers

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Hans Fugal <fugalh@zianet.com> wrote:
> Ruby WX (not to be confused with wxRuby) version 0.1.5 is released.

In your readme, you state "WX is shorthand for weather in aviation
circles." Not only are the names Ruby WX and WxRuby quite similar, the
your library directory layout, as shown by the require statement
("require 'wx/metar'") uses the directory 'wx', the same as WxRuby.
This means that on some systems, such as those following the
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (I know, many people hate it), files for
WxRuby and Ruby WX would be in the same folder. Needless to say, this
would be quite a mess. Even without caring for directory layouts, I
think it's expected that require "#{a}" and require "#{a}/#{b} will
refer to related libraries. Please consider changing the name, and
also the require path and directory layout to match.

Daniel Brumbaugh Keeney

Marc Heiler

Hehe the first time I have read about RubyWX got me thinking whether
this is a new ruby wxwidgets binding