KirbyBase: DateTime and Memo

Dimitri Aivaliotis

I love KirbyBase. I think it's great that there's a file-based
database engine written in Ruby. I like being able to edit the
database files directly and the fact that there's a Memo datatype.
But, I did run into two problems while working with KirbyBase
recently:

1) a DateTime column originally set to kb_nil upon creation can't
remain so when updated

2) a Memo column cannot be created when the memo_blob_path contains a
directory that doesn't exist

These are bug ID's 20290 and 20291, respectively, on Rubyforge.
There's a fairly good description of what the problem exactly is, as
well as test cases attached to the bug reports. I've given myself a
month to try to fix the problems myself, but I just haven't had the
time. Is there anyone with the time and inclination to have a look at
these problems? Jamey?

As payment, I can offer you a beer the next time you're in Zurich, Switzerland.

- Dimitri

2 Answers

jonty

I hadn't heard of Kirbybase before your post - but I agree with you so
far looking at it

There does not seem to have been any interest in it for 2 years - anyone
know what happened?

I would love to be of help with the bugs but am not an expert so may
take me some considerable time!

Dimitri Aivaliotis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I love KirbyBase. I think it's great that there's a file-based
> database engine written in Ruby. I like being able to edit the
> database files directly and the fact that there's a Memo datatype.
> But, I did run into two problems while working with KirbyBase
> recently:
>
> 1) a DateTime column originally set to kb_nil upon creation can't
> remain so when updated
>
> 2) a Memo column cannot be created when the memo_blob_path contains a
> directory that doesn't exist
>
> These are bug ID's 20290 and 20291, respectively, on Rubyforge.
> There's a fairly good description of what the problem exactly is, as
> well as test cases attached to the bug reports. I've given myself a
> month to try to fix the problems myself, but I just haven't had the
> time. Is there anyone with the time and inclination to have a look at
> these problems? Jamey?
>
> As payment, I can offer you a beer the next time you're in Zurich, Switzerland.
>
> - Dimitri

Shawn Anderson

I love kirbybase and use it for small projects at work. There is a rails
adapter for it as well, called ackbar. The last release of ackbar worked
for rails 1.0 and I updated it to 1.2 (in svn), but no rails > 2 is
supported. If you have specific questions on kirbybase or ackbar, shoot me
an email and I'll do my best to answer them.

/Shawn