ruby 1.8.6 p230 - really a fix?

Michal Suchanek

6/25/2008 8:42:00 AM

Hello

reading http://www.rubyinside.com/june-2008-ruby-security-vulnerabilitie...
I find the current state somewhat unsettling. I have not hit the
problem myself so I can only rely on the comments there. These seem to
indicate that the p230 does not really resolve the issue, only changes
a hang into a crash or something like that.

I would appreciate if somebody could shed some light on this issue.

Thanks

Michal

4 Answers

Maga

unsubscribe

Sumayah Hassim

unsubscribe

On 6/25/08, Maga <maga1982@gmail.com> wrote:
> unsubscribe

Greg Donald

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 3:42 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz> wrote:
> reading http://www.rubyinside.com/june-2008-ruby-security-vulnerabilitie...
> I find the current state somewhat unsettling. I have not hit the
> problem myself so I can only rely on the comments there. These seem to
> indicate that the p230 does not really resolve the issue, only changes
> a hang into a crash or something like that.
>
> I would appreciate if somebody could shed some light on this issue.

Geez. I've spent my last two evenings trying to figure out why I
can't upgrade, only to find it may be pointless to upgrade?

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/37411a24c95a...

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/9b9cbc212298...

--
Greg Donald
http://des...

SurviveStyle5

It kind of looks like alot of rails things are broken via this ruby
update, There are reports out there from varying people claiming that
older or newer versions of ruby/rails combination will work. I'm kind
of waiting for Rails Core to post something or a fix soon until then
if you are feeling frisky read the zed shaw analysis on the exploit
found here... http://www.zedshaw.com/rants/the_big_ruby_vulnerabil...
and start trying to work through the seg faults.