Running system() without output

Yanik Magnan

6/24/2008 1:21:00 AM

Heya,

I'm relatively new to Ruby, but I haven't found any way of doing this
by looking through the documentation. I want to call
system("/usr/bin/sometask #{somefile}"), except the task in question
doesn't have a --quiet modifier. Is there anyway to keep the output
from showing up whenever I run my ruby script?

--=20
Yanik Magnan =95 http:...

2 Answers

ara.t.howard

On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Yanik Magnan wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I'm relatively new to Ruby, but I haven't found any way of doing this
> by looking through the documentation. I want to call
> system("/usr/bin/sometask #{somefile}"), except the task in question
> doesn't have a --quiet modifier. Is there anyway to keep the output
> from showing up whenever I run my ruby script?

`#{ command }`

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Yanik Magnan

That works! Thanks.

On 6/23/08, ara.t.howard <ara.t.howard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Yanik Magnan wrote:
>

> > Heya,
> >
> > I'm relatively new to Ruby, but I haven't found any way of doing this
> > by looking through the documentation. I want to call
> > system("/usr/bin/sometask #{somefile}"), except the task in question
> > doesn't have a --quiet modifier. Is there anyway to keep the output
> > from showing up whenever I run my ruby script?
> >

> `#{ command }`
>

> a @ http://codeforp...
> --
> we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being
> better. simply reflect on that.
> h.h. the 14th dalai lama

--=20
Yanik Magnan =95 http:...