date intervals for graphs

Marcelo Barbudas

I'm in a position where I have to create dynamic date based Line graphs.
By dynamic I mean the start and end dates are variable and the output
should depend on the time period.

For example if the date interval is 7 days I would have to display 7
points of data. If the date interval is 100 days I would have to display
it by months since 100 points of data would be too much. It has to be
grouped somehow.

Is there a library that does this automatically?

If not, what would be the best solution for such a problem?

I was thinking making 1 data point = 1 day. Then arbitrarily choose that
I want to display a max amount of 15 points per graph. Get the data for
those 15 points and plot the graph according to that.

What problems could appear with this version?

--
M.

2 Answers

Rob Biedenharn

On Jun 23, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Marcelo Barbudas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in a position where I have to create dynamic date based Line
> graphs. By dynamic I mean the start and end dates are variable and
> the output should depend on the time period.
>
> For example if the date interval is 7 days I would have to display 7
> points of data. If the date interval is 100 days I would have to
> display it by months since 100 points of data would be too much. It
> has to be grouped somehow.
>
> Is there a library that does this automatically?
>
> If not, what would be the best solution for such a problem?
>
> I was thinking making 1 data point = 1 day. Then arbitrarily choose
> that I want to display a max amount of 15 points per graph. Get the
> data for those 15 points and plot the graph according to that.
>
> What problems could appear with this version?
>
> --
> M.

gruff or GoogleCharts, perhaps?

The grouping part (and the criteria for going from discrete to
"grouped" points) would be up to you.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Mark Thomas

On Jun 23, 3:24 pm, Marcelo Barbudas <nos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in a position where I have to create dynamic date based Line graphs.
> By dynamic I mean the start and end dates are variable and the output
> should depend on the time period.
>
> For example if the date interval is 7 days I would have to display 7
> points of data. If the date interval is 100 days I would have to display
> it by months since 100 points of data would be too much. It has to be
> grouped somehow.
>
> Is there a library that does this automatically?
>
> If not, what would be the best solution for such a problem?
>
> I was thinking making 1 data point = 1 day. Then arbitrarily choose that
> I want to display a max amount of 15 points per graph. Get the data for
> those 15 points and plot the graph according to that.
>
> What problems could appear with this version?
>
> --
> M.

Why is 100 points too much? If your graph will be 200 pixels wide or
more, you've got room for them.