Ruby Goodness at O'Reilly News

Gregory Brown

6/19/2008 6:26:00 PM

Hi folks,

This is one-time announcement about a shift in my blogging schtuff.
I've been blogging for a long time at O'Reilly Ruby but will likely be
putting most of my attention on writing posts for O'Reilly News now.
You can follow the Ruby related stuff there by checking the Ruby tag:

http://blogs.oreilly.com/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?tag=ruby&...

You could also just follow the main news feed at http://news.o...
but it's not all Ruby stuff (for better or for worse).

Sorry for spamming those who aren't interested, but this is the
easiest way I could think of contacting folks, since I don't have a
personal blog(*) related to general Ruby.

I will still do the Ruby Mendicant checkpoint messages on O'Reilly
Ruby, but after that, you can find my technical stuff on O'Reilly News
from here on out.

warm regards,
-gregory

(*) Occasional Ruby stuff happens on my personal blog, but it is
mostly confusing rants on religion, obscure poetry, random NSFW
commentary on silly things, and other stuff that is probably only
interesting to close friends or the very bored.
1 Answer

Sid Harth

COVER STORY

China factor
RITU RAJ KONWAR

Indian Army Personnel at the India-China border in Bumla, Arunachal
Pradesh, situated at an altitude of 4,700 metres.

THE elections in Arunachal Pradesh, which would have otherwise gone
unnoticed owing to the small size of its voter population and of the
State Assembly, got global attention because of the war of words and
the subsequent diplomatic engagement between India and China over the
latter’s claim to the border State. The dispute overshadowed the
election campaign as well.

A meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chinese Premier
Wen Jiabao in Hua Hin, Thailand, on October 24 was followed by one
between External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and his Chinese
counterpart Yang Jiechi in Bangalore on October 27.

Of the three States – Maharashtra, Haryana and Arunachal Pradesh –
that went to the polls on October 13, Arunachal Pradesh recorded the
highest voter turnout, over 72 per cent – 7.25 lakh voters exercised
their franchise. In 2004, the voter turnout was 68.77 per cent.

The Chinese objection to the elections came 10 days after the visit of
Manmohan Singh to Pasighat, the headquarters of East Siang district,
on October 3 to campaign for Congress party candidates. However,
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ma Zhaoxu’s statement on “an
Indian leader’s visit to the disputed east section area of China-India
boundary” was carefully worded so as not to name the “Indian leader”
or Arunachal Pradesh or the Assembly elections there.

Ma Zhaoxu stated that the China-India border had never been officially
demarcated. “The Chinese government’s position on the disputed area
has been consistent and clear. China expresses its strong
dissatisfaction on the visit by the Indian leader to the disputed area
in disregard of China’s grave concerns. We urge the Indian side to
take China’s solemn concerns seriously and not to stir up trouble in
the disputed area with a view to ensuring the sound development of
China-India relations,” the statement said.

India expressed its “disappointment and concern” over the statement
and said that “this does not help the process of ongoing negotiations
between the two governments on the boundary question”.

“The State of Arunachal Pradesh is an integral and inalienable part of
India. The people of Arunachal Pradesh are citizens of India, and they
are proud participants in the mainstream of India’s vibrant democracy.
The Chinese side is well aware of this position of the Government of
India. It is a well-established practice in our democratic system that
our leaders visit States where elections to Parliament and to the
State Assemblies are taking place. The Government of India is deeply
committed to ensuring the welfare of its own citizens across the
length and breadth of our country,” Ministry of External Affairs
spokesperson Vishnu Prakash stated in an official response.

He further stated that “India and China have jointly agreed that the
outstanding boundary question will be discussed by the Special
Representatives appointed by the two governments. India is committed
to resolving outstanding differences with China in a fair, reasonable
and mutually acceptable manner, while ensuring that such differences
are not allowed to affect the positive development of bilateral
relations. We hope that the Chinese side will similarly abide by this
understanding.”

The run-up to the polling also witnessed political parties and
candidates raising the China bogey in their campaign. The increase in
the voting percentage can perhaps be attributed to the impact of such
campaigns and the fact of voters seeing the Assembly elections as an
opportunity to demonstrate that they are proud to participate in the
Indian democratic exercise. It could also be seen as an emphatic no
from the people of the border State to the Chinese claim.

“China has nothing to do with the internal affairs of this border
State. Arunachal Pradesh is an integral part of India. All Arunachalis
are citizens of India and they came out in overwhelming numbers today
to participate in the democratic process to elect their new
representatives,” said Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu in a statement
issued to the press on the day of polling.

He expressed surprise at Beijing’s reaction to the Prime Minister
coming to address a Congress rally. “Arunachal has a democratically
elected government and is represented by three Members of Parliament.
Arunachalis want good relationship with their neighbours across the
border. Both sides should make efforts to reopen border trade through
the traditional routes for mutual benefits and peaceful coexistence,”
the Chief Minister added.

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) made the “growing Chinese threat over
Arunachal Pradesh” a major campaign issue and demanded that the
Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government pursue a
proactive policy on China to counter it and protect the country’s
sovereignty.

BJP president Rajnath Singh, in an election speech, alleged that China
had been making repeated claims over Arunachal Pradesh because of the
weak policy of the UPA government. He demanded that the government
issue a clarification on the actual status along the India-China
border.

Manmohan Singh, in his election speech at Pasighat, refrained from
touching the controversial issue; instead he highlighted the Rs.24,000-
crore development package announced by him the previous year aimed at
bringing the State on a par with the developed States of the country.
It gave an indication of the kind of investment New Delhi was planning
for it.

The diplomatic row was also over the anticipated visit of the Dalai
Lama to Tawang in November. Beijing objected to the visit while New
Delhi asserted that the Tibetan spiritual leader was free to visit any
part of the country.

Although the Chinese Premier did not raise the issue of the Dalai
Lama’s visit during the delegation-level talks at Hua Hin, Manmohan
Singh said he himself brought the issue up during the dinner thrown by
the Thai Prime Minister for all ASEAN and East Asia Summit country
leaders. He said the Dalai Lama’s travel plans arose in the general
context of a discussion about the Tibetan spiritual leader. “I told
him [Wen], you have raised this issue [of the visit]. He is an
honoured guest, a religious figure, but we do not allow him to indulge
in political activities.”

The new Congress government in Arunachal Pradesh is eagerly awaiting
the Dalai Lama’s visit and is ready to welcome him as a “state guest”.
However, there was no official word from the self-exiled Tibetan
leader’s office in Dharamsala about the visit. According to T.G.
Rinpoche, an aide to the Dalai Lama, it was scheduled to begin on
November 8.

Sushanta Talukdar

Volume 26 - Issue 23 :: Nov. 07-20, 2009
INDIA'S NATIONAL MAGAZINE
from the publishers of THE HINDU

http://frontlineonnet.com/fl2623/stories/20091120262...

....and I am Sid Harth