Re: Desktop multi-plataform ruby app

Yazmin Cardenas

6/6/2008 9:30:00 PM

HELLLLLOOOOUU

I =B4m still seeking for a Ruby on rails developer for a Job in San Fco....=

LAET. Yazm=EDn M. C=E1rdenas Rubalcaba

Technical Recruiter

Phone 01 800 087 47 87 Ext 257

Local phone 1368 1745 Ext 257

Av. Mariano Otero 3225 Col. Verde Valle

C.P. 44540 Guadalajara, Jal. M=E9xico

www.pounceconsulting.com

e-mail. yazmin.cardenas@pounceconsulting.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Israel Guerra [mailto:israel.guerra@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 4:07 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: Desktop multi-plataform ruby app

But guys, maybe im wrong about jruby, but its a ruby interpreter running in
the jvm isnt it?

So the final app needs a jvm (obviously), am i right?

Just want to make things clear :)
It sounds weird at the beginning... hehe

--
Guerra

:10 AM

Checked by AVG.
:10 AM

6 Answers

Phillip Gawlowski

gavin.b.lynch@gmail.com

On Jun 6, 4:44 pm, Phillip Gawlowski <cmdjackr...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Is there anything available that does not require JRuby and Swing
(ick, disgusting GUI)

James Britt

gavin.b.lynch@gmail.com wrote:
-

> Is there anything available that does not require JRuby and Swing
> (ick, disgusting GUI)

I can't help you there. There are alternatives for Ruby GUI apps, but I
cannot vouch for their aesthetics.

Swing apps can be skinned. There is much choice. The NetBeans built-in
GUI editor is quite slick.

You're going to have to decide what trade-offs to make; ease of
development (Monkeybars wins) ease of maintenance (Monkeybars wins),
solid cross-platform support (JRuby (AKA Java) + Swing wins), specific
look-and-feel ... well, that's more a matter of taste.

--
James Britt

"I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
- billinboston, on reddit.com

Israel Guerra

6/7/2008

Where can i get a good tutorial with examples on Monkeybars?

--
Guerra

James Britt

Israel Guerra wrote:
> Where can i get a good tutorial with examples on Monkeybars?

There are a few screencasts on monkeybars.org that walk you through all
the steps from installation to app creation.

We're preparing some examples to bundle up with the distro as well.

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff

Israel Guerra

Hi james,

i didnt have much time to look at the project. i installed it and i can say
i have a good first impression.

This weekend i will take a better look at it :)

Congratz for the work with it! :)

Best regards,