Desktop multi-plataform ruby app

Israel Guerra

Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
the visual part.

Thanks and best regards.

--
Guerra

50 Answers

Charles Oliver Nutter

Israel Guerra wrote:
> Hail everyone!
>
> This is my first post here. :)
>
> I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
> I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
> heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.
>
> I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
> the visual part.

JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars

- Charlie

James Britt

Israel Guerra wrote:
> Hail everyone!
>
> This is my first post here. :)
>
> I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
> I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
> heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.
>
> I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
> the visual part.

JRuby + Monkeybars + NetBeans GUI editor = Massive Win

http://www.monk...

Super-easy GUI app development, plus you can use rawr for snap-simple
packaging for multiple platforms.

There is nothing better.

--
James Britt

"Hackers will be expelled"
- The Breakfast Club (1985)

James Britt

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Israel Guerra wrote:
>> Hail everyone!
>>
>> This is my first post here. :)
>>
>> I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
>> I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best
>> option? I
>> heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.
>>
>> I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me
>> creating
>> the visual part.
>
> JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars
>
> - Charlie

What he said. :)

If you have questions, jump on #monkeybars on irc; the Monkeybars squad
is usually about and very happy to answer questions.

There's also a mailing list, or just write me (or David or Logan) directly.

--
James Britt

Israel Guerra

But guys, maybe im wrong about jruby, but its a ruby interpreter running in
the jvm isnt it?

So the final app needs a jvm (obviously), am i right?

Just want to make things clear :)
It sounds weird at the beginning... hehe

--
Guerra

Charles Oliver Nutter

Israel Guerra wrote:
> But guys, maybe im wrong about jruby, but its a ruby interpreter running in
> the jvm isnt it?
>
> So the final app needs a jvm (obviously), am i right?

Yeah, but that's a pretty minor requirement. There's free (as in beer
AND speech) JVMs easily installable on any plaform (including through
the usual packaging mechanisms).

- Charlie

Israel Guerra

Indeed.
I was thinking about the efficiency.

The question would be: If i will use a JVM, is it worth using an interpreter
running on another interpreter just because i want to program in ruby?

It's probabily ok for small and non processing demanding apps.
:)

--
Guerra

James Britt

Israel Guerra wrote:
> Indeed.
> I was thinking about the efficiency.
>
> The question would be: If i will use a JVM, is it worth using an interpreter
> running on another interpreter just because i want to program in ruby?
>
> It's probabily ok for small and non processing demanding apps.
> :)

Actually, JRuby may be faster than C Ruby. Not sure if that's true for
all possible code, but so far I've not noticed any issues. And since I
can use any Java lib out there, I've saved myself all sort sorts of work
and headaches by avoiding incomplete or non-existent Ruby libs for
some tasks.

My guess is speed of the underlying mechanisms will not be your problem.

--
James Britt

"I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
- billinboston, on reddit.com

Israel Guerra

Oki doki!

Will study monkeybars a bit and try to work with it! :)

Thanks for tips!

--
Guerra

Victor Reyes

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <
charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:

> Israel Guerra wrote:
>
>> Hail everyone!
>>
>> This is my first post here. :)
>>
>> I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
>> I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
>> heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.
>>
>> I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me
>> creating
>> the visual part.
>>

> JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars
>
> - Charlie

Can JRuby coexist with C-Ruby?
Does anyone have any performance numbers of Ruby vs JRuby?
Would any JRuby appl with GUI run on any *NIX server that supports Java?
Is there a drag and drop widgets creation GUI design under JRuby with Swing?
I think VxRuby or something to that effect is the only GUI environment that
offers drag/drop widget creation. Not sure though!
Currently I am running Ruby 1.8.7 and on some servers I am playing 1.9. What
is the equivalent version of JRuby to the latest level of Ruby?
How far behind is JRuby from Ruby (C-Ruby)?
If I am not mistaken, Monkeybars is only an MS/Windows appl, correct?

Thank you

Victor

Israel Guerra

I hardly believe that an interpreter made in java running on a jvm will be
as fast as a C interpreter.

1 thing could cause that and would be a very bad work made on the CRuby and
i don't believe that's the case.

The truth is that the convenience of the JRuby is ok for most end uses.

--
Guerra