This Week in Ruby (May 29, 2008

Antonio Cangiano

5/30/2008 12:11:00 AM

Hi all,

here you can find the 9th edition of "This Week in Ruby":
http://antonioca.../2008/05/29/this-week-in-ruby-ma...

Cheers,
Antonio
--
http://antonioca... - Zen and the Art of Programming
http://sta... | http://mat... | http://twitter.com...

Nickusa

On Nov 30, 10:45 am, c2 <jcrai...@pincrush.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 9:07 AM, wbradley wrote:
>
> > Bought a NIB SM recently and noticed how nice and mirror-like the
> > balls are. On pretty much all my other games the balls look dull.
>
> > So, assuming the balls aren't badly pitted, will tumbling get me the
> > mirror-like finish? I dont want to use chrome balls as most of my
> > titles have magnets and dont want to worry about mixing up balls
> > anyway.
>
> > What is the best additive to corncob (if tumbling is the answer)?
>
> I use corncob with a little Flitz.  Works great.
>
> Never had much success with walnut.
>
> -Craig

Max Badazz

>> i need to let running for more than 72 hours. With patience, i
> was amazed at the results. The longer the better.

Question for all of you ball tumblers......Isn't it cheaper to just
buy new balls at $1 each? If this machine is running for 3+ days,
isn't the power consumption + materials needed more costly than new
balls?

Chris (in NH)
http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery...

Pin_crazed

On Nov 30, 9:52 am, Nickusa <nquei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:45 am, c2 <jcrai...@pincrush.com> wrote:
>
> > On 11/30/2010 9:07 AM, wbradley wrote:
>
> > > Bought a NIB SM recently and noticed how nice and mirror-like the
> > > balls are. On pretty much all my other games the balls look dull.
>
> > > So, assuming the balls aren't badly pitted, will tumbling get me the
> > > mirror-like finish? I dont want to use chrome balls as most of my
> > > titles have magnets and dont want to worry about mixing up balls
> > > anyway.
>
> > > What is the best additive to corncob (if tumbling is the answer)?
>
> > I use corncob with a little Flitz.  Works great.
>
> > Never had much success with walnut.
>
> > -Craig

Yes, I found I have to let them go at least 3 days to get a mirror
finish but the results have been amazing. I will have to try following
up with the corncob, that makes perfect sense!

seymour-shabow

Max Badazz wrote:
>>> i need to let running for more than 72 hours. With patience, i
>> was amazed at the results. The longer the better.
>
> Question for all of you ball tumblers......Isn't it cheaper to just
> buy new balls at $1 each? If this machine is running for 3+ days,
> isn't the power consumption + materials needed more costly than new
> balls?

The new balls aren't as shiny in most cases as the ones you tumble. I
tumble brand new balls, too.

-scott CARGPB#29

c2

On 11/30/2010 10:13 AM, seymour.shabow wrote:
>>> was amazed at the results. The longer the better.
>>
>> Question for all of you ball tumblers......Isn't it cheaper to just
>> buy new balls at $1 each? If this machine is running for 3+ days,
>> isn't the power consumption + materials needed more costly than new
>> balls?
>>

> The new balls aren't as shiny in most cases as the ones you tumble. I
> tumble brand new balls, too.
>
> -scott CARGPB#29

ditto. new balls aren't nearly as shiny as what comes out of the tumbler.

wbradley

On Nov 30, 10:45 am, c2 <jcrai...@pincrush.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 9:07 AM, wbradley wrote:
>
> > Bought a NIB SM recently and noticed how nice and mirror-like the
> > balls are. On pretty much all my other games the balls look dull.
>
> > So, assuming the balls aren't badly pitted, will tumbling get me the
> > mirror-like finish? I dont want to use chrome balls as most of my
> > titles have magnets and dont want to worry about mixing up balls
> > anyway.
>
> > What is the best additive to corncob (if tumbling is the answer)?
>
> I use corncob with a little Flitz.  Works great.
>
> Never had much success with walnut.
>
> -Craig

So, you are using corncob only? I dont want to bother with the extra
time/work/cost of the walnut if it isnt necessary.

seymour-shabow

wbradley wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:45 am, c2 <jcrai...@pincrush.com> wrote:
>> On 11/30/2010 9:07 AM, wbradley wrote:
>>
>>> Bought a NIB SM recently and noticed how nice and mirror-like the
>>> balls are. On pretty much all my other games the balls look dull.
>>> So, assuming the balls aren't badly pitted, will tumbling get me the
>>> mirror-like finish? I dont want to use chrome balls as most of my
>>> titles have magnets and dont want to worry about mixing up balls
>>> anyway.
>>> What is the best additive to corncob (if tumbling is the answer)?
>> I use corncob with a little Flitz. Works great.
>>
>> Never had much success with walnut.
>>
>> -Craig
>
> So, you are using corncob only? I dont want to bother with the extra
> time/work/cost of the walnut if it isnt necessary.

Brand new balls in corncob. Used balls in walnut then corncob. I have
2 tumblers with the media in both for ease of transfer.

c2

On 11/30/2010 10:19 AM, wbradley wrote:
> On Nov 30, 10:45 am, c2<jcrai...@pincrush.com> wrote:
>> On 11/30/2010 9:07 AM, wbradley wrote:
>>
>>> Bought a NIB SM recently and noticed how nice and mirror-like the
>>> balls are. On pretty much all my other games the balls look dull.
>>
>>> So, assuming the balls aren't badly pitted, will tumbling get me the
>>> mirror-like finish? I dont want to use chrome balls as most of my
>>> titles have magnets and dont want to worry about mixing up balls
>>> anyway.
>>
>>> What is the best additive to corncob (if tumbling is the answer)?
>>
>> I use corncob with a little Flitz. Works great.
>>
>> Never had much success with walnut.
>>
>> -Craig
>
> So, you are using corncob only? I dont want to bother with the extra
> time/work/cost of the walnut if it isnt necessary.

I typically use corncob + flitz for everything.

-Craig

Pin_crazed

On Nov 30, 10:02 am, Max Badazz <max_bad...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> i need to let running for more than 72 hours. With patience, i
> > was amazed at the results. The longer the better.
>
> Question for all of you ball tumblers......Isn't it cheaper to just
> buy new balls at $1 each?  If this machine is running for 3+ days,
> isn't the power consumption + materials needed more costly than new
> balls?
>
> Chris (in NH)http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery...

Considering that mirror finish balls are about $2-3 per and I run
15-20 used balls at a time in the tumbler, then their should be a
considerable cost savings vs buying them new. I have had great success
with used balls polishing up to a really nice mirror finish. You can
chuck the $1 new balls in and they look fantastic as well. I just keep
swapping polished balls in on every machine, then when I have 15 or so
I pop them in the tumbler for 3-4 days, then rotate those in.