Seth Greenwood

5/29/2008 12:42:00 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm new to Ruby, and only heard about it through RGSS (ruby game
scripting system).
I have a program called RPGVX (or RPG Maker VX) that uses Ruby scripting
to customize certain aspects of the game. I've tried to learn RGSS, but
then
decided to learn Ruby instead as I could use it for the same purpose.

I was just wondering if it would be the same, as I noticed that some
of the terms used in RGSS are slightly different, such as the 'puts'
command in Ruby is replaced by 'print' in RGSS.

If I knew for sure that most of the commands would be the same,
I can go ahead and start to learn Ruby.

Thanks,
-Seth

David Masover

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 19:42:10 Seth Greenwood wrote:
> I was just wondering if it would be the same, as I noticed that some
> of the terms used in RGSS are slightly different, such as the 'puts'
> command in Ruby is replaced by 'print' in RGSS.

Actually, Ruby has both 'print' and 'puts' -- and they do different things.
I'm not sure about all the details, but at the very least, 'puts' adds a
newline, and 'print' doesn't.

> If I knew for sure that most of the commands would be the same,
> I can go ahead and start to learn Ruby.

There's a lot more to it than just 'commands' (those are actually method
calls), and I don't know anything about RPG Maker. But I'm guessing that if
it's based on some flavor of Ruby, then whatever you learned there should
translate here.

trebor777

Seth Greenwood a écrit :
> Hello everyone,
> I'm new to Ruby, and only heard about it through RGSS (ruby game
> scripting system).
> I have a program called RPGVX (or RPG Maker VX) that uses Ruby scripting
> to customize certain aspects of the game. I've tried to learn RGSS, but
> then
> decided to learn Ruby instead as I could use it for the same purpose.
>
> I was just wondering if it would be the same, as I noticed that some
> of the terms used in RGSS are slightly different, such as the 'puts'
> command in Ruby is replaced by 'print' in RGSS.
>
> If I knew for sure that most of the commands would be the same,
> I can go ahead and start to learn Ruby.
>
> Thanks,
> -Seth

Hi, I did the same thing as you when i started 4years ago with rmxp.
there is no differences between pure ruby, and rgss. as rgss is just a
library for ruby, providing new classes and a bunch of scripts.
The syntax is the same, standard library is the same in the way that
ruby can do all the standart stuff that rgss does but not in the
contrary (some methods and feature from pure ruby have been removed in
the rgss)

Anyway, rgss interpreter, is based on Ruby 1.8.1,(as for rgss2), ruby is
currently at 1.8.6, and going to be soon at 1.8.7, and you got a 1.9
which differs a bit from the others, in some concepts/syntax.

So i recommend you pick the one-click installer for windows:p and
everything should be fine.

Just to makes things sure: you can't do rgss specific features in pure
ruby, like use the bitmap or sprite class(or all the rgss game
library(described in the help file). but you can use the data files.
(like the maps or even the scripts.rxdata) just need to "extract" them.

And finally, if you want to make 2D games in ruby, look at those libraries
gosu
rubygame
ruby-sdl

Always good to see a rmvx comes to the real ruby world.

To other people:p
RPG maker VX or XP, though it's looks like made only for 2D rpg, can be
used to create other kind of games thanks to the rgss. It's graphics
performance are pretty good, I've personnaly been able to do some pretty
amazing stuff(a guitar hero remake for example). The only bad thing is
we can't extend the soft with C extensions...(though still able to call
dll methods with win32api).