Gem configuration options

Jon A. Lambert

5/27/2008 7:42:00 PM

How do you pass configuration options to extconf.rb when installing a gem?
Specifically I'd like to configure ruby-gd.

$ gem install ruby-gd
??something?? --with-freetype --with-ttf --with-jpeg --enable-gd2_0

Thanks.

9 Answers

Eric Hodel

On May 27, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> How do you pass configuration options to extconf.rb when installing
> a gem?
> Specifically I'd like to configure ruby-gd.
>
> $ gem install ruby-gd ??something?? --with-freetype --with-ttf --
> with-jpeg --enable-gd2_0

gem install ruby-gd -- --configure-options

Tim Hunter

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On May 27, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
>> How do you pass configuration options to extconf.rb when installing a
>> gem?
>> Specifically I'd like to configure ruby-gd.
>>
>> $ gem install ruby-gd ??something?? --with-freetype --with-ttf
>> --with-jpeg --enable-gd2_0
>
> gem install ruby-gd -- --configure-options

Is that a new option? I thought it was --build-flags.

~$ gem --version
1.0.1
~$ gem help install
Usage: gem install GEMNAME [GEMNAME ...] [options] -- --build-flags
[options]

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...
RMagick 2: http://rmagick.ruby...rmagick2.html

Eric Hodel

On May 27, 2008, at 15:35 PM, Tim Hunter wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On May 27, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>>> How do you pass configuration options to extconf.rb when
>>> installing a gem?
>>> Specifically I'd like to configure ruby-gd.
>>>
>>> $ gem install ruby-gd ??something?? --with-freetype --with-ttf --
>>> with-jpeg --enable-gd2_0
>> gem install ruby-gd -- --configure-options
>
> Is that a new option? I thought it was --build-flags.
>
> ~$ gem --version
> 1.0.1
> ~$ gem help install
> Usage: gem install GEMNAME [GEMNAME ...] [options] -- --build-flags
> [options]

-- tells RubyGems to stop processing options. --configure-options or
--build-flags are just dummy names for whatever it is you actually
want to specify.

Tim Hunter

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On May 27, 2008, at 15:35 PM, Tim Hunter wrote:
>> Eric Hodel wrote:

>>> gem install ruby-gd -- --configure-options
>>
>> Is that a new option? I thought it was --build-flags.
>>
>> ~$ gem --version
>> 1.0.1
>> ~$ gem help install
>> Usage: gem install GEMNAME [GEMNAME ...] [options] -- --build-flags
>> [options]
>
> -- tells RubyGems to stop processing options. --configure-options or
> --build-flags are just dummy names for whatever it is you actually want
> to specify.

That makes sense. Thanks.

--
RMagick: http://rmagick.ruby...
RMagick 2: http://rmagick.ruby...rmagick2.html

Barry Margolin

In article <62a30f04-1c8f-49cb-917e-59fa14eaac0e@googlegroups.com>,
Marc Allen <marclallen117@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The problem is that you're allowed to know what you can work out on
> > your own - but you _didn't_ work this out on your own: you heard your
> > partner fail to alert.
>
> Again, it doesn't matter. If I feel I would have worked that out on my own,
> I feel I'm allowed to bid it.

There are two logical alternatives: 1) Partner forgot the system, and 2)
he had a valid reason for taking an unusual action.

Absent the UI, you'd probably figure out that it's (1). But the UI
strongly suggests this, which means you can't choose it. Unless you
claim that (2) isn't really a LA -- almost none of your peers would
conclude that (2) is the reason for his action.

It doesn't matter what *you* would have worked out on your own. The law
regarding UI talks about LAs, which are actions that some number of your
peers would consider and take.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Dave Flower

On Monday, 11 June 2012 16:22:25 UTC+1, Marc Allen wrote:
> > OK, you keep saying this, and we keep telling you you're wrong, so
> > just cite chapter and verse in the laws. The problem is, that while
> > you really should act as if you're behind screens, you DO in fact hear
> > his lack of an alert, and now you have UI, and have to deal with it in
> > accordance with the law.
>
> Citing chapter and verse doesn't help. This is a matter of interpretation. The law doesn't require that I pass. It requires that I take the majority action of my peers in the same auction with no UI. Or at least attempt to.

The Law does not require you to take the majority action of your peers - it is more restrictive than that. If the majority of your peers reqard an action as a Logical Alternative (even if they do not select it), then you may not take the action

Dave Flower

Barry Margolin

In article <4bd0d26a-42d9-4112-b5e6-781016532589@googlegroups.com>,
Dave Flower <DavJFlower@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Monday, 11 June 2012 16:22:25 UTC+1, Marc Allen wrote:
> > > OK, you keep saying this, and we keep telling you you're wrong, so
> > > just cite chapter and verse in the laws. The problem is, that while
> > > you really should act as if you're behind screens, you DO in fact hear
> > > his lack of an alert, and now you have UI, and have to deal with it in
> > > accordance with the law.
> >
> > Citing chapter and verse doesn't help. This is a matter of interpretation.
> > The law doesn't require that I pass. It requires that I take the majority
> > action of my peers in the same auction with no UI. Or at least attempt to.
> >
> The Law does not require you to take the majority action of your peers - it
> is more restrictive than that. If the majority of your peers reqard an action
> as a Logical Alternative (even if they do not select it), then you may not
> take the action

Actually, it's somewhere in between. An LA is something that a
significant number of peers would consider, and some would choose.

So if a majority would consider it, but they would ALL dismiss it, then
it's not actually an LA. Although it seems unlikely that something
would be reasonable enough that a majority would consider it, yet still
be so unreasonable that none would choose it.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Adam Beneschan

On Monday, June 11, 2012 11:43:31 AM UTC-7, Barry Margolin wrote:

> Dave Flower wrote:

> > > Citing chapter and verse doesn't help. This is a matter of interpretation.
> > > The law doesn't require that I pass. It requires that I take the majority
> > > action of my peers in the same auction with no UI. Or at least attempt to.
> > >
> > The Law does not require you to take the majority action of your peers - it
> > is more restrictive than that. If the majority of your peers reqard an action
> > as a Logical Alternative (even if they do not select it), then you may not
> > take the action
>
> Actually, it's somewhere in between. An LA is something that a
> significant number of peers would consider, and some would choose.
>
> So if a majority would consider it, but they would ALL dismiss it, then
> it's not actually an LA. Although it seems unlikely that something
> would be reasonable enough that a majority would consider it, yet still
> be so unreasonable that none would choose it.

It doesn't seem unlikely to me. Sometimes you have to give an action some consideration in order to realize that it doesn't make any sense. Not every action that is wrong is blindingly obviously wrong. By the way, the Law says that a majority of players would have to "seriously consider" it.

-- Adam

Bertel Lund Hansen

Dave Flower skrev:

> The Law does not require you to take the majority action of
> your peers - it is more restrictive than that. If the majority
> of your peers reqard an action as a Logical Alternative (even
> if they do not select it), then you may not take the action

This sounds confusing - I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

If there is UI, and this UI suggests an action, and there is a
logical alternative, then you must not choose the suggested
action. You certainly may choose the logical alternative.

A logical alternative is - as already has been explained - one
that a number of peers would seriously consider and some of them
choose.

--
Bertel, Denmark
http://bridge.lund...