documentation for ruby?

slix

5/27/2008 7:46:00 AM

i think the documentation at http://www.rub... is fairly
useless.

is there a better one?

62 Answers

Robert Klemme

2008/5/27 <notnorwegian@yahoo.se>:
> i think the documentation at http://www.rub... is fairly
> useless.
>
> is there a better one?

According to what standards?

robert

Marc Heiler

The pickaxe book is probably better overall.
And there is some rails-powered site ... noobkit, which is ok, though
missing some things as well.

Robert Klemme

2008/5/27 Marc Heiler <shevegen@linuxmail.org>:
> The pickaxe book is probably better overall.

The pickaxe is actually linked from the site the OP mentioned.

robert

Ron Fox

What sort of documentation are you looking for reference? tutorial?
At what level? Beginner, intermediate, expert?

notnorwegian@yahoo.se wrote:
> i think the documentation at http://www.rub... is fairly
> useless.
>
> is there a better one?

James Bracy

I find ruby-doc to be great. But if you are looking for a tutorial, it
probably isn't the place to go. It is much better as a reference.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Ron Fox <fox@nscl.msu.edu> wrote:

> What sort of documentation are you looking for reference? tutorial?
> At what level? Beginner, intermediate, expert?
>

> notnorwegian@yahoo.se wrote:
>
>> i think the documentation at http://www.rub... is fairly
>> useless.
>>
>> is there a better one?

Robert Dober

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:58 PM, James Bracy <waratuman86@gmail.com> wrote:
> I find ruby-doc to be great. But if you are looking for a tutorial, it
> probably isn't the place to go. It is much better as a reference.
Please do not top post this community (as many others) prefer bottom
posting, you can however post in between. In that case your post will
refer to the text above by convention :).

ruby-doc is great I agree, and there are most useful links to widely
accepted books and even tutorials.

Cheers
Robert
--
http://ruby-smalltalk.blo...

---
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Mark Wilden

On May 27, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Robert Dober wrote:

> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:58 PM, James Bracy <waratuman86@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I find ruby-doc to be great. But if you are looking for a tutorial,
>> it
>> probably isn't the place to go. It is much better as a reference.

> Please do not top post this community (as many others) prefer bottom
> posting

Many others don't mind it either way, and if the quote trail is long,
prefer top posting. I don't know where the anti-toppers always seem to
feel that they can speak for everyone else.

///ark

Victor Reyes

What's top or bottom posting anyway?
I just want to learn the "right" way to post or answer (which I hardly do
since I am a neophyte).

Thanks

Victor

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Mark Wilden <mark@mwilden.com> wrote:

> On May 27, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Robert Dober wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:58 PM, James Bracy <waratuman86@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I find ruby-doc to be great. But if you are looking for a tutorial, it
>>> probably isn't the place to go. It is much better as a reference.
>>>

> Please do not top post this community (as many others) prefer bottom
>> posting
>>

> Many others don't mind it either way, and if the quote trail is long,
> prefer top posting. I don't know where the anti-toppers always seem to feel
> that they can speak for everyone else.
>
> ///ark

Todd Benson

This is top posting.

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's top or bottom posting anyway?

This is bottom posting.

> I just want to learn the "right" way to post or answer (which I hardly do
> since I am a neophyte).
>
> Thanks
>
> Victor

This is bottom posting a conclusion.

Bottom posting tends to take on a more natural conversational feel.

Some mail readers work better this way, as well.

hth,
Todd

Tobias Weber

In article <0D16738A-F1A2-4DB9-87E9-FEC81AF636CF@mwilden.com>,
Mark Wilden <mark@mwilden.com> wrote:

> Many others don't mind it either way, and if the quote trail is long,
> prefer top posting. I don't know where the anti-toppers always seem to
> feel that they can speak for everyone else.

In Usenet pro-toppers are extremely rare.

Somewhere I've seen good arguments that inter-quoting is much better for
discussion while full-quoting helps in coporate environments full of
technically barely-literate people CCing their e-mails to everybody.

BTW is this newsgroup bridged with some web forum? There's this strange

--
Tobias Weber