Re: [QUIZ] The Turing Machine (#162

James Koppel

I was a little late submitting this week, so, rather than fleshing this solution out, I just challenged myself to write a short but good program. I think I did a pretty good job, at 33 lines of non-golfed code.

Thanks to Andrew Johnson and his solution to RubyQuiz 69 for showing me the trick of using hashes for lazy evaluation.

state = nil
instructions = File.open(ARGV[0]) do |f|
f.readlines.map{|s|
(s=s.match(/^[^#]+/)[0].strip).empty? ? nil : s}.compact.
inject({}){|hsh,s|
md=s.match(/(\w+)\s+(\w)\s+(\w+)\s+(\w)\s+([LR])/)
state = state || md[1]
hsh[[md[1],md[2]]]=[md[3],md[4],md[5]]
hsh
}
end

tape = Hash.new do |cell,v|
h = cell.dup
h[:C] = '_'
h[v=='L' ? 'R' : 'L'] = cell
cell[v] = h
end

tape[:C] = '_'
ARGV[1].to_s.split(//).reverse.each{|c|tape=tape['L'];tape[:C]=c}

until instructions[[state,tape[:C]]].nil?
state, ch, move = instructions[[state,tape[:C]]]
tape[:C] = ch
tape = tape[move]
end

tape = tape['L'] while tape.keys.include? 'L'
output = [tape[:C]]
(tape = tape['R']; output << tape[:C]) while tape.keys.include? 'R'

puts output.reject{|c|c=='_'}.join