about writing file???

Pat Kiatchaipipat

5/13/2008 3:59:00 AM

hi, I have problem about writing file.
I use this

data = File.new("/options.sav","w")

and I get file name option.sav in my path but when I open it with
notepad. It can modify :'( I don't want this because options.sav has
save data from my app that can't hack it! how can I write file with
can't be modified???

Phillip Gawlowski

Ron Fox

If you just want to prevent casual/accidental, rather than
determined modification, after you close the file:

File.chmod("/options.sav", 0440);

For example.

RF

Pat Kiatchaipipat wrote:
> hi, I have problem about writing file.
> I use this
>
> data = File.new("/options.sav","w")
>
> and I get file name option.sav in my path but when I open it with
> notepad. It can modify :'( I don't want this because options.sav has
> save data from my app that can't hack it! how can I write file with
> can't be modified???

Albert Schlef

Ron Fox wrote:
> If you just want to prevent casual/accidental, rather than
> determined modification, after you close the file:
>

> File.chmod("/options.sav", 0440);

Does 0440 work on windows too?

(I think it's clear, when he meantions "notepad", and saves to the root
folder, that he's using Windows.)

Ron Fox

Yes, but I did get the arguments backwards.

File.chmod(0440, "/options.sav")

Works just fine on my windows box and does set the Readonly bit when
I look at the file later. The nice thing about good high level
languages, they abstract many differences in operating systems away
making it easier to write portable code.

Ron.

Albert Schlef wrote:
> Ron Fox wrote:
>> If you just want to prevent casual/accidental, rather than
>> determined modification, after you close the file:
>>

>> File.chmod("/options.sav", 0440);
>
> Does 0440 work on windows too?
>
> (I think it's clear, when he meantions "notepad", and saves to the root
> folder, that he's using Windows.)

Pat Kiatchaipipat

thx you I will try with it :)

Pat Kiatchaipipat

It's not work! :'(
I use that and it make read-only file that I can't modify it but when I
right click->property and check off in read-only box. it can modify!!

:-(

Phillip Gawlowski