Problem with files comparing

Cheyne Li

5/12/2008 9:59:00 PM

Hi, there

My problem is to compare two files in the same directory as the program
does.

the code is:

require 'ftools'
def fcmp
from = 'my_log.txt'
to = 'my_log_e.txt'
if compare(from,to, verbose = false) then
puts 'Identical.'
else
puts 'Different.'

After running the function. There's no result as all. Is there anybody
has the idea what's wrong with it?

Dave Thomas

On May 12, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
> require 'ftools'
> def fcmp
> from = 'my_log.txt'
> to = 'my_log_e.txt'
> if compare(from,to, verbose = false) then
> puts 'Identical.'
> else
> puts 'Different.'
>
> After running the function. There's no result as all. Is there anybody
> has the idea what's wrong with it?

You probably need to call your function.

Dave

Cheyne Li

Dave Thomas wrote:
> On May 12, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
>>
>> After running the function. There's no result as all. Is there anybody
>> has the idea what's wrong with it?
>

> You probably need to call your function.
>

> Dave

Hi, Dave

I tried put them in a class, and tested, but it kept throwing me the
error message. The code and error message are in the following:

class Cmprocess
# Create the object
def initialize(from,to)
@from = from
@to = to
end

def fcmp
require 'ftools'
compare(@from,@to, true)
end

r= Cmprocess.new("my_log.txt","my_log_e.txt")

if r.fcmp then
puts "Identical files."
else
puts "Different files."

C:\Documents and Settings\cheynel\My
Documents\NetBeansProjects\task1\lib\fcmp.rb:11:in `fcmp': undefined
method `compare' for #<Cmprocess:0xb40ec4 @to="my_log_e.txt",
@from="my_log.txt"> (NoMethodError)
from C:\Documents and Settings\cheynel\My
Documents\NetBeansProjects\task1\lib\fcmp.rb:16
from C:\Documents and Settings\cheynel\My
Documents\NetBeansProjects\task1\lib\fcmp.rb:2

I used netbean for ruby to ran it

Dave Thomas

On May 12, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
> I tried put them in a class, and tested, but it kept throwing me the
> error message. The code and error message are in the following:

1. It's relatively unusual to create instances of a class inside the
class body, but that won't cause this problem

2. Where do you define the 'compare' method?

Dave

Cheyne Li

Dave Thomas wrote:
> On May 12, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
>> I tried put them in a class, and tested, but it kept throwing me the
>> error message. The code and error message are in the following:
>

> 1. It's relatively unusual to create instances of a class inside the
> class body, but that won't cause this problem
>
> 2. Where do you define the 'compare' method?
>

> Dave

compare is a std mathod in ftools.rb

Dave Thomas

On May 13, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Cheyne Li wrote:
> compare is a std mathod in ftools.rb

Then you'd need to say File.compare, and not just compare.

Dave

Cheyne Li

Dave Thomas wrote:
> On May 13, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Cheyne Li wrote:
>> compare is a std mathod in ftools.rb
>
> Then you'd need to say File.compare, and not just compare.
>

> Dave

Ok. I c. Thanks man