create groups with ruby-net-ldap

rvd5star

5/12/2008 5:29:00 AM

hello all,

I would like to ask if it's possible to add new groups in active
directory server
using ruby-net-ldap library.

thank you.

best regards,
rvd5star
8 Answers

rvd5star

I would like to add the ff. questions:

1. Is there a way to change the user's group("OU") or assign to
another existing groups?
2. Is there a way to edit/delete existing groups using ruby-net-ldap?

Thanks,
rvd5star

On May 12, 1:28 pm, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all,
>
> I would like to ask if it's possible to add new groups in active
> directory server
> using ruby-net-ldap library.
>
> thank you.
>
> best regards,
> rvd5star

Glen Holcomb

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM, rvd5star <callmervd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to add the ff. questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to change the user's group("OU") or assign to
> another existing groups?
> 2. Is there a way to edit/delete existing groups using ruby-net-ldap?
>
> Thanks,
> rvd5star
>
> On May 12, 1:28 pm, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello all,
> >
> > I would like to ask if it's possible to add new groups in active
> > directory server
> > using ruby-net-ldap library.
> >
> > thank you.
> >
> > best regards,
> > rvd5star

Yes you can create groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap.

I'm not sure what you mean by group("OU") but you can add users to a group
by adding to the member property of the group.

Editing and deleting are also easy by setting attributes and using the
delete method.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

rvd5star

really? could you show me a code snippet on how to create
groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap?

Thanks in advance.

On May 12, 10:55 pm, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would like to add the ff. questions:
>
> > 1. Is there a way to change the user's group("OU") or assign to
> > another existing groups?
> > 2. Is there a way to edit/delete existing groups using ruby-net-ldap?
>
> > Thanks,
> > rvd5star
>
> > On May 12, 1:28 pm, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > hello all,
>
> > > I would like to ask if it's possible to add new groups in active
> > > directory server
> > > using ruby-net-ldap library.
>
> > > thank you.
>
> > > best regards,
> > > rvd5star
>
> Yes you can create groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by group("OU") but you can add users to a group
> by adding to the member property of the group.
>
> Editing and deleting are also easy by setting attributes and using the
> delete method.
>
> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

rvd5star

I was able to create groups using ruby-net-ldap.
My only problem now is how to:
1. retrieve users from a group
2. assign users from one group to another

Any advice?

Thanks.

On May 13, 10:33 am, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> really? could you show me a code snippet on how to create
> groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> On May 12, 10:55 pm, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]
>
> > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I would like to add the ff. questions:
>
> > > 1. Is there a way to change the user's group("OU") or assign to
> > > another existing groups?
> > > 2. Is there a way to edit/delete existing groups using ruby-net-ldap?
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > rvd5star

> > Yes you can create groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap.
>
> > I'm not sure what you mean by group("OU") but you can add users to a group
> > by adding to the member property of the group.
>
> > Editing and deleting are also easy by setting attributes and using the
> > delete method.
>
> > --
> > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

rvd5star

Hello. I was able to solve the latest two problems.
My only concern now is to assign user from one OU(Organizational Unit)
to another.
Any advice?

Thanks.

On May 13, 11:46 am, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was able to create groups using ruby-net-ldap.
> My only problem now is how to:
> 1. retrieve users from a group
> 2. assign users from one group to another
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On May 13, 10:33 am, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > really? could you show me a code snippet on how to create
> > groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap?
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> > On May 12, 10:55 pm, Glen Holcomb <damnbig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

> > > Yes you can create groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap.
>
> > > I'm not sure what you mean by group("OU") but you can add users to a group
> > > by adding to the member property of the group.
>
> > > Editing and deleting are also easy by setting attributes and using the
> > > delete method.
>
> > > --
> > > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions speak
> > > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> > > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Glen Holcomb

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM, rvd5star <callmervd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello. I was able to solve the latest two problems.
> My only concern now is to assign user from one OU(Organizational Unit)
> to another.
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On May 13, 11:46 am, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was able to create groups using ruby-net-ldap.
> > My only problem now is how to:
> > 1. retrieve users from a group
> > 2. assign users from one group to another
> >
> > Any advice?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > On May 13, 10:33 am, rvd5star <callme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > really? could you show me a code snippet on how to create
> > > groups in AD with ruby-net-ldap?
> >
> > > Thanks in advance.

> ruby-net-ldap?

> group

> the

> actions speak

From my understanding there is no direct way to do that in the LDAP
protocol. You basically have to delete the object then re-create it in the
desired OU. You can change the left most part of the dn but not the rest.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Kouhei Sutou

2008/5/13 Glen Holcomb <damnbigman@gmail.com>:

> From my understanding there is no direct way to do that in the LDAP
> protocol. You basically have to delete the object then re-create it in the
> desired OU. You can change the left most part of the dn but not the rest.

Net::LDAP#rename.

Thanks,
--
kou

Glen Holcomb

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/5/13 Glen Holcomb <damnbigman@gmail.com>:
>
> > From my understanding there is no direct way to do that in the LDAP
> > protocol. You basically have to delete the object then re-create it in
> the
> > desired OU. You can change the left most part of the dn but not the
> rest.
>
> Net::LDAP#rename.
>

> Thanks,
> --
> kou

That will only change the cn portion of the dn. You can't change ou's with
rename.

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)