How to get to the beginning in irb

flexaxis

5/8/2008 5:30:00 AM

I am using OSX. I am using terminal and I use irb. After typing
something I need to do p at the front. Now I need to go back to the
beginning of the line and I hit left arrow key and it takes forever.

I have seen people jump straight to the beginning of the line. What's
the shortcut command and where can I get the list?
3 Answers

darren kirby

quoth the flexaxis@gmail.com:
> I am using OSX. I am using terminal and I use irb. After typing
> something I need to do p at the front. Now I need to go back to the
> beginning of the line and I hit left arrow key and it takes forever.
>
> I have seen people jump straight to the beginning of the line. What's
> the shortcut command and where can I get the list?

Not sure of a list but 'home' and 'end' are working for me to get to the
beginning and end of a line respectively.

-d
--
darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badco...

Joel VanderWerf

darren kirby wrote:
> quoth the flexaxis@gmail.com:
>> I am using OSX. I am using terminal and I use irb. After typing
>> something I need to do p at the front. Now I need to go back to the
>> beginning of the line and I hit left arrow key and it takes forever.
>>
>> I have seen people jump straight to the beginning of the line. What's
>> the shortcut command and where can I get the list?
>
> Not sure of a list but 'home' and 'end' are working for me to get to the
> beginning and end of a line respectively.

If those don't work, try Ctl-A and Ctl-E.

flexaxis

On May 8, 1:52 am, Joel VanderWerf <vj...@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> darren kirby wrote:
> > quoth the flexa...@gmail.com:
> >> I am using OSX. I am using terminal and I use irb. After typing
> >> something I need to do p at the front. Now I need to go back to the
> >> beginning of the line and I hit left arrow key and it takes forever.
>
> >> I have seen people jump straight to the beginning of the line. What's
> >> the shortcut command and where can I get the list?
>
> > Not sure of a list but 'home' and 'end' are working for me to get to the
> > beginning and end of a line respectively.
>
> If those don't work, try Ctl-A and Ctl-E.
>
> --
> vjoel : Joel VanderWerf : path berkeley edu : 510 665 3407

Awesome.
ctrl-A and ctl-E worked for me.

Thanks a bunch.