Where to start if I want to print to

Damjan Rems

5/7/2008 7:49:00 AM

1. Linux (CUPS) printers
2. Windows printers

by
TheR

Phillip Gawlowski

Damjan Rems

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

> Damjan Rems wrote:
> | 1. Linux (CUPS) printers
> | 2. Windows printers
>
> 1.) The CUPS API documentation
> 2.) The Windows API documentation

Seriously. I thought this would be simplier.

Is there no library which would simplify drawing pixels and fonts and
pictures etc. and send result to printer queue?

by
TheR

Phillip Gawlowski

Damjan Rems

Phillip Gawlowski wrote:

> Damjan Rems wrote:
> | Seriously. I thought this would be simplier.
> |
> | Is there no library which would simplify drawing pixels and fonts and
> | pictures etc. and send result to printer queue?
>
> Beats me. My mind-reading powers are in the shop for maintenance at the
> moment, so I have no clue what your problem is.
>
> Also, it might be a good idea to use search.yahoo.com to answer your
> question? Or this new kid on the block, google.com?
>
> A general question gets a general answer, since more isn't possible
> (since, as aforementioned psychic power is not available currently).

So why do you answer if you are on maintenence.

And no searching friends don't have any goooood answers. At least not on
first few pages.

by
TheR

Alex Fenton

Damjan Rems wrote:
> 1. Linux (CUPS) printers
> 2. Windows printers

You could look into the cross-platform GUI toolkits, for example wxRuby,
FxRuby, QT or GTK. Some of these should should provide abstractions for
writing to a printer. wxRuby for example provides a variety of classes
which abstract the native printing frameworks on Mac, Linux and Windows:

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc/htmleasypri... (very simple to use)
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc... (full control)