Re: Ruby mentoring

David A. Black

5/3/2008 3:17:00 PM

Hi --

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Michael T. Richter wrote:

> Luka luka's recent messages here to the list have made me note
> something: there's a lot of redundancy in answering questions on the
> mailing list because someone asks and a dozen people answer. (Too, I've
> noticed that a lot of times these threads expand out of control into
> show-off code tricks because Ruby is so much fun to play with....;)

I'll bet you'll get at least a dozen answers to this one :-)

> What I'd like to propose is a Ruby mentoring program for newcomer like
> luka luka. A mentor would basically be a single point of contact for
> Ruby questions. If, for example, I were to be luka luka's mentor, he
> would email me with his questions and I would answer those I know the
> answers to and research the answers (including forwarding the question
> here) to any I didn't know.

I don't know; I really like discussing things here. It does get
repetitive, and sometimes exasperating (though I feel better for
having taken a 2-month hiatus recently). But it also has interesting
ramifications, like when two people who answer end up talking to each
other because they have different takes on how to do something. I've
had lots of experiences on both sides of the fence of seeing/giving a
suboptimal or just plain wrong answer and being corrected or
enlightened.

That said, I think that if you want to do it, you should, because
that's how these things should work. We don't all have to agree or
feel that it's the right thing for us.

David

INTRO TO RAILS June 9-12 Berlin
ADVANCING WITH RAILS June 16-19 Berlin
INTRO TO RAILS June 24-27 London (Skills Matter)
See http://www.r... for details and updates!