Language code list? (ISO 639-1?

Arlen Cuss

Hi there,

I'm wondering there's any built-in list or gem that has the list of language
codes/country names/language names (native/foreign, either's good) in it?
Something like a list like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_6...

I could scrape it from the page and coerce it into a tneable format, but I
don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers,
Arlen.

3 Answers

Arlen Cuss

Well, I found this:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subta...

And I did mean a "tenable" format - one which I'd still like, should it
exist. Otherwise this'll be a piece of cake anyway.

Arlen

Siep Korteling

Arlen Cuss wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm wondering there's any built-in list or gem that has the list of
> language
> codes/country names/language names (native/foreign, either's good) in
> it?
> Something like a list like this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_6...
>
> I could scrape it from the page and coerce it into a tneable format, but
> don't want to reinvent the wheel.
>
> Cheers,
> Arlen.

http://locale.rubyforge.org/svn/...

Regards,

Siep

Michael Granger

On Apr 27, 2008, at 1:55 PM, Siep Korteling wrote:
> Arlen Cuss wrote:
>> I'm wondering there's any built-in list or gem that has the list of
>> language
>> codes/country names/language names (native/foreign, either's good) in
>> it?

[...]

> http://locale.rubyforge.org/svn/...

The locale module looks great! It seems like a pretty comprehensive
interface to what you need, but if you happen to need something in one
file, and don't need predicates and such, the Linguistics gem also has
both the iso639-1 and iso639-2 codes in a module:

http://deveiate.org/projects/Linguistics/browser/trunk/lib/linguistics...

Example usage:

irb(main):001:0> require 'linguistics/iso639'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> Linguistics::LanguageCodes['en']
=> {:codes=>["eng", "en"], :desc=>"English"}
irb(main):003:0> Linguistics::LanguageCodes['sog']
=> {:codes=>["sog"], :desc=>"Sogdian"}

--
Michael Granger <ged@FaerieMUD.org>
Rubymage, Architect, Believer