Tim Wolak

Afternoon all,

I have a set of files that are downloaded via ftp which I iterate over and
grab account numbers are their balances. I have been able to iterate over
the individual lines and get my data however the account balances are gather
by getting their specific position on current line and the position just
before the account balance is a "0" or a "-", which indicates if the balance
is a positive or a negative number.

My issue is what is the best way to have ruby indicate this float number as
a negative number so when I compare account balances from the current day
and the previous that the difference is calculated correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

believed to be clean.

3 Answers

Jano Svitok

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Tim Wolak <twolak@sktydev.com> wrote:

> Afternoon all,
>
> I have a set of files that are downloaded via ftp which I iterate over and
> grab account numbers are their balances. I have been able to iterate over
> the individual lines and get my data however the account balances are gather
> by getting their specific position on current line and the position just
> before the account balance is a "0" or a "-", which indicates if the balance
> is a positive or a negative number.
>
> My issue is what is the best way to have ruby indicate this float number as
> a negative number so when I compare account balances from the current day
> and the previous that the difference is calculated correctly?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Tim

1. It's easier to help if you provide some samples from the data,
together with expected results.
2. Have a look at Regexp [1] and String#to_f
3. You may want to use BigDecimal [2] instead of floats for money.
floats are internally stored as binary fractions (obviously) so you
might have problems with loosing tiny fractions of numbers.

[1] http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/tut_stdtyp...
[2] http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/bigdecimal/rdoc/...

Glen Holcomb

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Tim Wolak <twolak@sktydev.com> wrote:

> Afternoon all,
>
> I have a set of files that are downloaded via ftp which I iterate over and
> grab account numbers are their balances. I have been able to iterate over
> the individual lines and get my data however the account balances are
> gather
> by getting their specific position on current line and the position just
> before the account balance is a "0" or a "-", which indicates if the
> balance
> is a positive or a negative number.
>
> My issue is what is the best way to have ruby indicate this float number
> as
> a negative number so when I compare account balances from the current day
> and the previous that the difference is calculated correctly?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Tim

> believed to be clean.

to_f

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Robert Klemme

On 21.04.2008 21:48, Tim Wolak wrote:
> Afternoon all,

Good night.

> I have a set of files that are downloaded via ftp which I iterate over and
> grab account numbers are their balances. I have been able to iterate over
> the individual lines and get my data however the account balances are gather
> by getting their specific position on current line and the position just
> before the account balance is a "0" or a "-", which indicates if the balance
> is a positive or a negative number.
>
> My issue is what is the best way to have ruby indicate this float number as
> a negative number so when I compare account balances from the current day
> and the previous that the difference is calculated correctly?

Floats can be negative and positive. There is nothing extra you need to do.

Note however that if you want correctness with currency values it is
better to use BigDecimal instead of Float because of the increased
exactness. Floats may be sufficient in your case but you should keep in
mind that there are some issues lurking.

Kind regards

robert