Interpreter doesnt work?

skanemupp

4/21/2008 7:48:00 PM

so i downloaded and installed ruby and there is no APPlicatin/Exe int
he main directory but in bin there is the interpreter but ti doesnt
work, it aluches a DOS-window but there is no evaluator.

do i have to install an IDE to or how do i get an editor and the
interactive prompt?
4 Answers

delano

Viejo Vizcacha <elbie_jovis_kasha@yahoo.com> wrote:

> wangchangsuemee@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > On www.amazon.com, a 4GB iPod Nano with video is on sale at $149.
> > Canadian chain www.futureshop.ca charges C$169.99.
> >

> OK, you convinced me. Someone living in Edmonton, Alberta, tempted by
> this bargain, might actually drive 800 kilometers (500 miles) to Great
> Falls, Montana, so he can save $20.99. With a small car that consumes 7
> liters per 100 kilometers, you might need 112 liters for the 1000 miles
> to drive forth and back, which at 95 cent a liter is just above 100
> dollars, not counting 16 hours of your life spent driving so you can
> save less than 21 dollars.

Fox News says that now that Bush is president, everybody wants to be an
American! We need a 25 and 50 cent bill though because coin money confuses us.

Viejo Vizcacha

David Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:42:27 -0400, Viejo Vizcacha
> <elbie_jovis_kasha@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> wangchangsuemee@yahoo.com wrote:
>>> LOL! Canucks Lose & Americans Win !
>>>
>>> Dollar parity puts squeeze on Canadian retailers By Allan Dowd
>>> 32 minutes ago
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070927/wl_canada_nm/canada_usa_re...
>>>

>>> Parity between the U.S. and Canadian dollars has American retailers
>>> eyeing cross-border business and Canadian consumers demanding better
>>> deals at home -- and going to court to get them.
>>>
>>> The two dollars hit par last week for the first time since 1976, and
>>> Canadian radio stations soon talked of long waits at the border as
>>> shoppers sought U.S. bargains.
>>>
>>> "It was tremendous," said Patti Crooks, general manager of the
>>> Aroostook Centre Mall in Presque Isle, Maine, which has long marketed
>>> itself to shoppers in neighboring New Brunswick - even using the
>>> Canadian-style spelling "Centre" in its name.
>>>
>>> Retailers in northern Maine have seen business from Canada increase as
>>> the currencies neared parity, allowing some to offset falling sales to
>>> U.S. consumers stung by higher energy prices and a flagging economy,
>>> Crooks said.
>>>
>>> The Canadian dollar, worth a fraction over a U.S. dollar on Thursday,
>>> has climbed some 62 percent since early 2002.
>>>
>>> But parity, while a joy to U.S. retailers, has made some Canadian
>>> consumers angry that so many goods and products cost more in Canada
>>> than in the United States.
>>>
>>> Bruce Cran of the Consumers Association of Canada said the group is
>>> hearing complaints about a range of goods, with some Canadian
>>> electronics retailers saying the wholesale prices they pay are higher
>>> than retail prices in the United States.
>>>
>>> On www.amazon.com, a 4GB iPod Nano with video is on sale at $149.
>>> Canadian chain www.futureshop.ca charges C$169.99.
>>>

>> OK, you convinced me. Someone living in Edmonton, Alberta, tempted by
>> this bargain, might actually drive 800 kilometers (500 miles) to Great
>> Falls, Montana, so he can save $20.99.
>
> Most of the Canadian population is a great deal closer to the border
> than that.

But to Canadians the border with the US is where the country starts,
while for USAmericans, thats where their country ends. So, most places
near the border on the US side do not have much to offer to Canadians,
who actually have to drive an hour or more in order to find a place that
is not run down by bears, coyotes, and racoons.

VV

Drew Olson

globalrev wrote:
> do i have to install an IDE to or how do i get an editor and the
> interactive prompt?

Welcome to ruby!

To use the interactive prompt, also known as irb, open a console window
and type "irb" then hit enter.

You can also use any editor you like. I believe the one click installers
comes with a nice simple editor called SciTE which will give you syntax
highlighting. Once you've written your program, navigate to it using a
console window and then type "ruby my_program.rb" to execute your code.

Hope this helps.

- Drew

Peter Jones

globalrev <skanemupp@yahoo.se> writes:
> so i downloaded and installed ruby and there is no APPlicatin/Exe int
> he main directory but in bin there is the interpreter but ti doesnt
> work, it aluches a DOS-window but there is no evaluator.

You probably don't want to invoke the interpreter directly, but
instead send ruby source files through the interpreter to be executed.

First write some ruby code in your editor of choice, and then run that
code through the interpreter.

You can access an interactive session with the interpreter by opening
a DOS window and running the following command:

irb

--
Peter Jones [pjones at domain below]
pmade inc. - http:/...