CSV nesting

Max Russell

4/21/2008 2:32:00 PM

I have a snippet of code that looks like this:

next if row.nil?
for i in 0...row.length
next if row[i].nil?
f.puts " <#{fields[i]}>#{row[i]}</#{fields[i]}>"
end

this is part of a small script that parses a CSV document and then
creates an XML output file.

However, I would like to add support for nesting elements in the output,
so that if the current column/value is surname or forename I can write
my output in a nested fashion:

<PERSON>
<SURNAME>Brown</SURNAME>
<FORENAME>Bobby</FORENAME>
</PERSON>

The problem I'm having is with the identification of the current element
as either SURNAME or FORENAME

I've tried using:

if #{fields[i]} == "<ORGANISATION_PERSON_SURNAME>"

(where fields is CSV.shift) and I've also tried

if row[i].data == 'ORGANISATION_PERSON_SURNAME'

What is the best way of acessing this please?

I've attached my original script for perusal.

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-...attachment/1765/...

Jeremy Hinegardner

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 11:32:01PM +0900, Max Russell wrote:
> I have a snippet of code that looks like this:
>
> next if row.nil?
> for i in 0...row.length
> next if row[i].nil?
> f.puts " <#{fields[i]}>#{row[i]}</#{fields[i]}>"
> end
>
> this is part of a small script that parses a CSV document and then
> creates an XML output file.
>
> However, I would like to add support for nesting elements in the output,
> so that if the current column/value is surname or forename I can write
> my output in a nested fashion:
>
> <PERSON>
> <SURNAME>Brown</SURNAME>
> <FORENAME>Bobby</FORENAME>
> </PERSON>
>
> The problem I'm having is with the identification of the current element
> as either SURNAME or FORENAME
>
> I've tried using:
>
> if #{fields[i]} == "<ORGANISATION_PERSON_SURNAME>"
>
> (where fields is CSV.shift) and I've also tried
>
> if row[i].data == 'ORGANISATION_PERSON_SURNAME'
>
> What is the best way of acessing this please?

I would use FasterCSV and loop over each row, and have some controlling
information that shows which row fields should be grouped into a higher tag.

> I've attached my original script for perusal.
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/1765/...

Completely off the cuff, untested, but this is the approach I'm thinking of.

http://p.ramaz...

enjoy,

-jeremy

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy@hinegardner.org

Max Russell

Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:

> Completely off the cuff, untested, but this is the approach I'm thinking
> of.
>
> http://p.ramaz...
>
> enjoy,
>
> -jeremy

Thanks, although after looking at the FasterCSV docs. I'm thinking of
working with an array or arrays instead of a Hash.

Max Russell

Max Russell wrote:
> Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
>
>> Completely off the cuff, untested, but this is the approach I'm thinking
>> of.
>>
>> http://p.ramaz...
>>
>> enjoy,
>>
>> -jeremy
>
> Thanks, although after looking at the FasterCSV docs. I'm thinking of
> working with an array or arrays instead of a Hash.

I've attached what I'm now using. I'm finding however that, due to the
condition execution, my current code spits out all the other attributes
before the two conditions:

for i in 1..rows.length
next if rows[i].nil?
if not rows[surname] or rows[forename]
puts rows[i]#"Current attribute: #{rows[i]}"
end
if rows[surname]
puts "<ORGANISATIONAL_PERSON>"
#puts "row #{i}"
puts " <SURNAME>"
puts " #{rows[i][surname]}"
puts " </SURNAME>"
end
if rows[forename]
#puts "row #{i}"
puts " <FORENAME>"
puts " #{rows[i][forename]}"
puts " </FORENAME>"

The problem being that an if, elsif else construction doesn't seem to
work...

Attachments:
http://www.ruby-...attachment/1769/fstcsv_xml_...