leaking weirdness

Roger Pack

4/16/2008 5:11:00 AM

Perhaps someone out there can help give me a clue about the following
situation:

My mongrel processes seem to be leaking.
As an example of this, if I add this code to the bottom of
environment.rb
Thread.new {loop do; print 'w'; end}
it doesn't affect memory at first, however after the web server gets its
first hit its memory consumption would sky-rocket. [i.e. it would
monotonically grow by about 50MB/s]

Then I ran the same using webrick, instead of mongrel [1.1.3].
No leak.

Then I'm thinking 'hmm maybe it's mongrel and the mongrel guys have
fixed this.'

Update my gem to 1.1.4 from 1.1.3.
Using mongrel this time.
No leak! Yea!

Now this is the weird part.
Attempted to recreate the bug.
Uninstalled mongrel 1.1.4, reinstalled 1.1.3
uninstalled daemons [its dependency] 1.0.10, reinstalled 1.0.9 [what I
had before].

Ran it with Mongrel again [which is where it used to leak].
No leak.
I am so confused!
Perhaps rubygems was updated and so it "compiled it right this time"?
Note that there don't appear to be significant code changes in mongrel
from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4, though there could be, I'm not sure.

Maybe if somebody else who 'suspects' a memory leak could try my code
and see if it leaks theirs, that would be well appreciated.

The good news is that "maybe" updating rubygems and recompiling mongrel
helps with memory leaks in rails apps.

Thoughts?
-R
OS X PPC patchlevel 111