Looking for Hidden Gems

James Gray

4/11/2008 9:40:00 PM

I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten path,
poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly useful. I
think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this category.

I would love to receive other suggestions. Send me links to the
projects you don't see used all the time but you just couldn't live
without. Please send code with your suggestions or point me towards
some code on the Web if you can, so I can understand how to use the
project.

I'm collecting this information for a conference speech I'm planning,
by the way.

Thanks for the ideas.

James Edward Gray II

12 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

James Gray wrote:
> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten path,
> poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly useful. I
> think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this category.

IIRC NArray has never been packaged as a gem! Talk about under-loved! ;)

James Gray

On Apr 11, 2008, at 9:07 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
>> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten
>> path, poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly
>> useful. I think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this
>> category.
>
> IIRC NArray has never been packaged as a gem! Talk about under-
> loved! ;)

Just, to be clear, I'll take non-gems if they are worth the effort. I
just liked the name "Hidden Gems." ;)

However, it does seem there is a gem in this case:

$ gem query -r --name-matches narray

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.ruby...
narray (0.5.9.4)

James Edward Gray II

ara.t.howard

On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:39 PM, James Gray wrote:
> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten path,
> poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly useful.
> I think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this category.
>
> I would love to receive other suggestions. Send me links to the
> projects you don't see used all the time but you just couldn't live
> without. Please send code with your suggestions or point me towards
> some code on the Web if you can, so I can understand how to use the
> project.
>
> I'm collecting this information for a conference speech I'm
> planning, by the way.
>
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> James Edward Gray II

require 'gsl'

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

ara.t.howard

On Apr 11, 2008, at 8:07 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
>> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten
>> path, poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly
>> useful. I think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this
>> category.
>
> IIRC NArray has never been packaged as a gem! Talk about under-
> loved! ;)

cfp:~ > gem list|grep narray
narray (0.5.9.4)

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Eric Hodel

On Apr 11, 2008, at 14:39 PM, James Gray wrote:
> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten path,
> poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly useful.
> I think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this category.
>
> I would love to receive other suggestions. Send me links to the
> projects you don't see used all the time but you just couldn't live
> without. Please send code with your suggestions or point me towards
> some code on the Web if you can, so I can understand how to use the
> project.
>
> I'm collecting this information for a conference speech I'm
> planning, by the way.

We just crossed 3,000 gems last week, so here's the oldest ~ 3%:

require 'rubygems'
require 'rubygems/source_info_cache'

si = Gem::SourceInfoCache.cache_data[Gem.sources.first].source_index

puts si.map { |n,spec| spec }.sort_by { |spec|
spec.date }.first(100).map { |spec| spec.full_name }

progressbar-0.0.3
cgikit-1.1.0
statistics-2001.2.28
Ook-1.0.2
RubyJDWP-0.0.1
log4r-1.0.5
dbdbd-0.2.2
rdf-0.3
keyedlist-0.4.0
captcha-0.1.2
rublog-0.8.0
fingerserver-0.4.0
ikko-0.1
regexp-engine-0.9
stream-0.5
VRTools-0.0.1
rvsh-0.4.5
libgnucap-ruby-0.1
iterator-0.8
csbattery-0.2.2
csinterface-0.6.2
sds-0.3
ObjectGraph-1.0.1
ruby-doom-0.8
cstemplate-0.5.1
kreed-0.0.2
neelix-0.0.3
ladspar-0.1
cardinal-0.1.0
mw-template-0.9.1
MultipartAlternativeLite-0.0.1
ncurses-0.9.1
ruby-cache-0.3.0
XMMS-Ruby-0.1.2
Joystick-Ruby-0.1.0
rdf-redland-0.5.1.3
aversa-0.3
BlueCloth-1.0.0
sqlite-2.0.1
copland-lib-0.1.0
copland-remote-0.1.0
copland-webrick-0.1.0
an-app-0.0.3
packrat-0.1.0
libxosd2-ruby-0.4
libxosd-ruby-0.4
rlirc-0.3.1
swin-2004.03.14-x86-mswin32
vruby-2004.08.07
wxrubylayouts-0.0.3
termios-0.9.4
Syndic8-Ruby-0.2.0
Technorati-Ruby-0.1.0
ctapi-0.2.2
jobserver-0.1.4
Rubilicious-0.1.2
yip-0.8.2
complearn-0.6.2
Rodo-1.1
dnssd-0.6.0
copland-1.0.0
dev-utils-1.0.1
SimpleSearch-0.5.0
diff-lcs-1.1.2
xhtmldiff-1.0.0
formvalidator-0.1.3
jpeg2pdf-0.12
algorithm-diff-0.1
test-unit-mock-0.30
io-reactor-0.05
ruvi-0.4.12
crosscase-0.0.1
posixlock-0.0.1
latex-0.1.3
text-highlight-1.0.2
IO-Reactor-0.0.6
rubypants-0.2.0
Ruby-MemCache-0.0.1
sstruct-1.0.1
needle-extras-1.0.0
realrand-1.0.2
hprevalence-0.2.0
genx4r-0.05
libbz2-0.4
Asami-0.04
extensions-0.6.0
text-hyphen-1.0.0
PrettyException-0.9.5
tex-hyphen-0.5.0
ruwiki-0.9.3
net-tftp-0.1.0
xmlresume2x-0.2.1
creditcard-1.0
Bloglines4R-0.1.0
x10-cm17a-1.0.1
x10-cm17a-1.0.1-x86-mswin32
text-reform-0.2.0
dbus-0.1.10
sqlite-ruby-2.2.3
sqlite-ruby-2.2.3-x86-mswin32

The oldest in this list, progressbar-0.0.3 has a date of:

$ gem spec -r progressbar | grep date
date: 2004-03-13 05:56:48.508436 -08:00

The newest in this list:

$ gem spec -r sqlite-ruby | grep date
date: 2005-01-29 21:00:00 -08:00

Joel VanderWerf

James Gray wrote:
> However, it does seem there is a gem in this case:
>
> $ gem query -r --name-matches narray

Was surprised by this and by the existence of an rbtree gem. Yay!

Peña, Botp

From: Eric Hodel [mailto:drbrain@segment7.net]=20
# $ gem spec -r progressbar | grep date
# date: 2004-03-13 05:56:48.508436 -08:00

yikes, didn't know it was that old. I've been using it all the time :)
thanks for the gems, eric.
kind regards -botp

James Gray

On Apr 11, 2008, at 10:38 PM, ara.t.howard wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2008, at 3:39 PM, James Gray wrote:
>> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten =20
>> path, poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly =20
>> useful. I think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this =20
>> category.
>>
>> I would love to receive other suggestions. Send me links to the =20
>> projects you don't see used all the time but you just couldn't live =20=

>> without. Please send code with your suggestions or point me =20
>> towards some code on the Web if you can, so I can understand how to =20=

>> use the project.
>>
>> I'm collecting this information for a conference speech I'm =20
>> planning, by the way.
>>
>> Thanks for the ideas.
>>
>> James Edward Gray II
>
> require 'gsl'

I bet that's great library, but, not being a scientist, I'm probably =20
the wrong guy to talk it up. Thanks for the suggestion though Ara.

I ma bug you when I start trying to make good NArray examples for =20
similar reasons=85 ;)

James Edward Gray II

James Gray

On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:52 PM, Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2008, at 14:39 PM, James Gray wrote:
>> I'm hunting for some gems that are under loved, off the beaten
>> path, poorly documented, or just lesser known yet still wickedly
>> useful. I think something like NArray or RBTree falls into this
>> category.
>>
>> I would love to receive other suggestions. Send me links to the
>> projects you don't see used all the time but you just couldn't live
>> without. Please send code with your suggestions or point me
>> towards some code on the Web if you can, so I can understand how to
>> use the project.
>>
>> I'm collecting this information for a conference speech I'm
>> planning, by the way.
>
> We just crossed 3,000 gems last week, so here's the oldest ~ 3%:

Thank you Eric. I will try to comb through this list and see if
anything catches my eye.

If anyone has favorites in the selection though, please point them out
for me.

James Edward Gray II

ara.t.howard

On Apr 13, 2008, at 7:40 AM, James Gray wrote:
> I bet that's great library, but, not being a scientist, I'm probably =20=

> the wrong guy to talk it up. Thanks for the suggestion though Ara.

A) it's the single biggest ruby project after rails. think about that!

B) take 50% of the list where people say 'ruby is too slow at XXXX' or =20=

why can't i do 'XXX' - the gsl is by far the largest container of =20
algorithms on rubyforge, but orders of magnitude, it's not just =20
science: scan this list

http://rb-gsl.rubyforge.or...

and you'll see things like 'complex numbers', 'vectors', 'matrices' =20
'permutations', 'FFT', 'random number generation', 'statistics', and =20
'NArray compatibilities'

scan the list of ruby quizes and you'll see where i'm headed ;-)

> I ma bug you when I start trying to make good NArray examples for =20
> similar reasons=85 ;)

sure. the fact that these two libs work together is immensely powerful.

check this out

http://codeforp...kat...

and here is the code

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

using narray in combination of mmap.

cheers.

a @ http://codeforp...
--
we can deny everything, except that we have the possibility of being =20