Revert back to rubygems 0.9 from 1.0.1

dkmd_nielsen

4/8/2008 4:35:00 PM

My debugger is having a problem with rubygems v1.0.1. I would like to
revert back to rubygems 0.9, if that is possible. What steps are
necessary to back out v1.0.1 and re-install 0.9.x?

Thanks for your time,
dvn
5 Answers

Luis Lavena

On Apr 8, 1:35 pm, dkmd_nielsen <d...@cmscms.com> wrote:
> My debugger is having a problem with rubygems v1.0.1. I would like to
> revert back to rubygems 0.9, if that is possible. What steps are
> necessary to back out v1.0.1 and re-install 0.9.x?

gem update --system -v '0.9.x'

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena

dkmd_nielsen

On Apr 8, 1:09 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 1:35 pm, dkmd_nielsen <d...@cmscms.com> wrote:
>
> > My debugger is having a problem with rubygems v1.0.1.  I would like to
> > revert back to rubygems 0.9, if that is possible.  What steps are
> > necessary to back out v1.0.1 and re-install 0.9.x?
>
> gem update --system -v '0.9.x'
>
> HTH,
> --
> Luis Lavena

Thanks. Unfortunately, that's not it. I don't see a specific version
provision with update.

E:\Scripts\Testing>gem update --system -v '0.9.0'
Updating RubyGems...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
No gem names are allowed with the --system option

E:\Scripts\Testing>

Luis Lavena

On Apr 8, 3:25 pm, dkmd_nielsen <d...@cmscms.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 1:09 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 8, 1:35 pm, dkmd_nielsen <d...@cmscms.com> wrote:
>
> > > My debugger is having a problem with rubygems v1.0.1. I would like to
> > > revert back to rubygems 0.9, if that is possible. What steps are
> > > necessary to back out v1.0.1 and re-install 0.9.x?
>
> > gem update --system -v '0.9.x'
>
> > HTH,
> > --
> > Luis Lavena
>
> Thanks. Unfortunately, that's not it. I don't see a specific version
> provision with update.
>
> E:\Scripts\Testing>gem update --system -v '0.9.0'
> Updating RubyGems...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> No gem names are allowed with the --system option
>
> E:\Scripts\Testing>

Sorry, my bad. The cleanest method will involve:

Download rubygems-0.9.0.zip package from rubyforge:

http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?relea...

Unzip and run 'ruby setup.rb install'

Just curious: why you want to revert to 0.9.0? instead of 0.9.4 which
was more stable.

Also, can you provide more information about the trouble you're
having, so we can track if the problem is in RubyGems or the
"debugger" gem you mention.

Regards,
--
Luis Lavena

dkmd_nielsen

On Apr 8, 2:07 pm, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 3:25 pm, dkmd_nielsen <d...@cmscms.com> wrote:

> > > gem update --system -v '0.9.x'
>
> > > HTH,
> > > --
> > > Luis Lavena
>
> > Thanks. Unfortunately, that's not it. I don't see a specific version
> > provision with update.
>
> > E:\Scripts\Testing>gem update --system -v '0.9.0'
> > Updating RubyGems...
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
> > No gem names are allowed with the --system option
>
> > E:\Scripts\Testing>
>
> Sorry, my bad. The cleanest method will involve:
>
> Download rubygems-0.9.0.zip package from rubyforge:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/shownotes.php?relea...
>
> Unzip and run 'ruby setup.rb install'
>
> Just curious: why you want to revert to 0.9.0? instead of 0.9.4 which
> was more stable.
>
> Also, can you provide more information about the trouble you're
> having, so we can track if the problem is in RubyGems or the
> "debugger" gem you mention.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Luis Lavena

The IDE debugger I am using is ArachnoRuby. I switched my development
environment, where the new one has rubygems 1.0.1. However, in
processing the gem and require statements, I would get this weird
error about not being able to convert nil to integer. The exact same
script would work with SCITE and from the command line. I contacted
the author of ArachnoRuby and said it was odd. He said it made sense
to him and there is something he needs to fix.

I will update all my servers to rubygems 0.9.4. I wasn't sure which
version is the correct one. All my servers are using 0.9.0; and they
are all fine.

Anything more you need? Just let me know.

Thanks a bunch,
dvn

Eric Hodel

On Apr 9, 2008, at 08:25 AM, dkmd_nielsen wrote:

> I will update all my servers to rubygems 0.9.4. I wasn't sure which
> version is the correct one. All my servers are using 0.9.0; and they
> are all fine.

0.9.0 and earlier have an installation exploit that allow gems to
install files into arbitrary locations on the filesystem. Use at
least 0.9.1.